Trumpeter 1/32 BAC Lightning build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a quick word Guys ! You won't be able to view all my/our pictures until the 18th febuary, i've filled my bandwidth to the max and Photobucket have locked out the pictures til' that date.

Got a load of pictures to put up aswell !!

ian.

Can't you download on another 'system' and post thay way? Shame, but never mind, looking forward to them when you can. BTW, e-mailed you with the details last night.

Well guys,
I'm sorry that you can't see any pictures i've reached my bandwidth and you won't be able to view any pictures until the 18th febuary :shock: i've opened up a new account so i can continue to show my build :lol: .

lightningssss003.jpg

lightningssss005.jpg

lightningssss006.jpg

lightningssss007.jpg

As usual i always use Tamiya masking tape to give a very good edge and use food bags to cover the rest of the model, i don't use paper any more because once paint soaked through the paper and stuck the paper to the model and nearly ruined it. Just a quick reminder for those who don't know, eh ! i do all my modeling on a tray and have no work shop/room as such.

lightningssss008.jpg

First coating of Humbrol 19 Gloss Red going on, it took five light coats to cover it evenly.

lightningssss011.jpg

All the coats on and the masking tape off, no runs under the tape any where thankyou Tamiya !

lightningssss001.jpg

FireStreaks finally finished, the black bands are decal strips.

lightningssss002.jpg

Front wheel/hub strut all together with a wash on it.

lightningssss010.jpg

For the wing tip lights i've drilled out them and added clear red/green into them, these will look alot nicer than being painted all red/green.

lightningssss004.jpg

Front FOD guard completed, anyone know where i can get any suitable sized Decals so i can spell out BEWARE OF FOD ??.

lightningssss009.jpg

Eduard ''remove before flight'' tags arrived today and will set the completed model off nicely.

thanks for looking.

Nice work Ian. For the FOD guard lettering, you might be able to get some lettering in white from somewhere like Pedinghaus Decals, or one of the model railway decal suppliers. Otherwise, the next best thing would be Letraset, Blick, or similar rub-down lettering.

Thanks for the nice comments guys 8)

Well guys has anyone got any nice close up pictures of the nose of a Lightning, this must show the BLACK anti dazzle part as on a F1,this is just in front of cockpit ! i need to get this right as i've seen in the past where some modellers have totally done it wrong.

morelightningpictures001.jpg

Made a start on the Main undercarriage legs ! i've added copper wire to depict brake piping.

morelightningpictures007.jpg

Masked and painted the canopy/glazing, can anyone tell me what the little 'shark fin' is for on the canopy ??

morelightningpictures002.jpg

Done a wash of light dirt to bring out the detail, this will be sen more when i give it a coat of Klear/Future.

morelightningpictures003.jpg

Did a bit of a wash in the wheel wells aswell looked too clean.

morelightningpictures004.jpg

Also gave the inboard flaps/stabl' a bit of a wash :|

morelightningpictures005.jpg

morelightningpictures006.jpg

Started to do a bit of detail work on the fuselage... like altering the colour of some inspection covers though you really can't tell by theses pictures ! why bother you say

Quick reminder guys don't forget if you have any good close upper shots of the 'anti dazzle' part on the nose.

thanks for looking.

Looking great Ian. I'll have a look for shots of the anti-dazzle panel - got some good ones on a cammed F6, from above, which was the same, but I'll see if I have an early one. The little aerial, depending on fit, was either IFF or VHF transponder, it should be yellow or white.
Just thought, it might not be clear, but the A/D panel is shown on that 74Sqn F1 pic I sent you with the ejection seat stuff.

Would you believe guys ? its snowing again LOL

Spent most of the day applying a wash to the model and making a rear exhaust guard.

Many of you will know what a wash is ! But there are many still out there that don't understand what a wash is ! Its a water based product which is applied by brush all over the model, left to dry then rubbed off with a damp paper towel, it will give it a more real look to aircraft, infact it can go on any sort of model, you can make it yourself but i find the best is 'Promodellers' weather wash.

Have a look....... Promodellers.com - Promodeller Home

ligggggg002.jpg

Model panel detail showing hardly any detail at all.

ligggggg003.jpg

Applying the wash, this can be put on in several coats to get the desired effect.

ligggggg008.jpg

Panel work high lighted by the wash, this will go darker when a coat of Klear/future is applied.

ligggggg004.jpg

ligggggg005.jpg

Applying the wash to the seperate parts, easier this way than being on the model as you could break it while your rubbing the wash off.

ligggggg007.jpg

Removing the wash with a damp [not wet] paper towel.

ligggggg001.jpg

The results you get using this stuff.

ligggggg006.jpg

Taken the Masking tape off and that was a success too all nice and neat, not bad to say its brush painted on, i'm going to add a little detail inside the canopy eg' rear view mirror, wires etc etc.

ligggggg009.jpg

Checking the fit of the canopy parts and align up nicely.

ligggggg011.jpg

Masked up the nose for the 'anti dazzle' black part, i've masked the section which is on the nose ring like that because i've got an actual colour photo of a firebird in flight from above 8)

ligggggg014.jpg

Please remember that i don't do much airbrushing !, too much hassle in cleaning the things, end result look good any way !!

ligggggg010.jpg

Finally got round to finishing the Main under carriage.

ligggggg015.jpg

Correct positioning of the strut covers, i've known people in the past glue the small piece onto the underside of the wing, which is wrong.

ligggggg012.jpg

I noticed today that Trumpeter have even forgot to put a groove into the model where the rear wings go to allow wing movement, i didn't dig it out so is just painted in a black curved line to replicate this.

ligggggg016.jpg

Wing tip lights fitted in nicely.

ligggggg013.jpg

Started to make a rear exhaust shield, very fiddly.

thanks for looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back