Two down, one to ....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Back in February, I posted a bit about one of the chaps who shared my 60th Birthday party in February 2012.
There were three of us who were born within three days of each other, in February and March 1952, albeit all from different towns, and a chap named Steve, who helped out behind the bar in my local pub was one of them.
As reported, he apparently felt ill on the Friday evening, two weeks or so before his Birthday on February 28th, and went home early. No one saw him, and no one was able to get in touch with him on the Saturday, and he was eventually found dead, in bed, at home. Cause of death was an annuerism (probably spelled that wrong!).
The other chap, Tony, had his Birthday on March 1st. He passed away this afternoon in the local hospital, as a result of liver complications I believe, two weeks after his Birthday.
My Birthday was on 29th February (or would have been if there was a 29th this year!).
I'm staying in, locking the doors, banning anyone with even a head cold from visiting ......................

Sorry to hear this Terry.:( Take care, and always keep folks updated on how you are feeling so they can keep an eye on you. Being a type diabetic and having lived by myself for a while, I have folks who keep up with me. It never hurts.

Thanks chaps.
The first loss was quite a surprise, being so sudden and without any 'lead in' clues, although Steve had been carrying rather a lot of weight, and I don't think he had a particularly healthy diet or lifestyle.
Tony, unfortunately, was a very heavy drinker, and never looked particularly healthy. Although sad, it wasn't that much of a surprise when I received the news today. When he was first admitted to hospital, about ten days ago, all who knew him realised, deep down, that his chances were slim, although no one would say so publicly of course.
I'm now trying to visualise the regulars in the pub, and wondering what odds they're betting on my immediate future !
Fortunately, although I live alone these days, I have friends who keep in touch or call in regularly, although I think I'd better 'show my face' around and about these next few days, before 'Rumour Control' reports my demise !!

Very sad to hear Terry.

The alcohol doesn't do wonders to ones health at the end of the day, lots of nasty effects that will get you in the long run.

Aneurysm's on the other hand can just hit you out the blue depending on where they are all depends on the symptoms and signs and what can be done but some of them do just go 'pop'...

Sorry to hear about these guys, Terry...and it can be a little unnerving to say the least.

I suspect, however, that you'll be with us for quite a while (someone has to keep an eye on Jan) unless you get that hot-rod mobility scooter that does 80kph. :lol:

Thanks very much chaps. Neither were close friends, but it still 'hits home' when people you know, of the same age, suddenly 'pop their clogs' !
And Jan, sorry I didn't answer your text, I was in bed, somewhat out of the game with RA - which is lucky for you, with all those references to the Wil... that thing !

the older i get the more my mortality stares me in the face. and the more i make sure i look it square in the eye. i opt ( and pay ) for different tests so i have an idea of what i have to contend with. i got scanned for aneurysms a year or so back....and this year am going to take a stress test...in addtion to regular checks on everything. i am not paraniod or fearful of death. but if i can know what is going on in my body i can take steps to counter it....would like to enjoy my grandchildren and then retirement long enough to be a burden on society...lol

Or only as old as the women you feel, as someone once said!

I got some even more shocking news last night, but haven't had the chance to get on the forum until now - the Doctors managed to revive him!
So after me (and many others) announcing he had died, and not knowing what happened later, he was still with us, but only just.
But as of yesterday evening, after a friend visited the hospital, his life expectancy was measured in hours, so sadly the end result will be the same.
After another 'regular' at the same pub collapsed and died of a heart attack a few years ago, a brass plaque was placed above the area of the bar where he always sat, and now another one has been added, with the third, for Tony, to follow when the worst is confirmed.
I'll either have to sit in a different area, or change pubs - I don't fancy making the display of brass plaques symmetrical !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back