Unternehmen Luftbrücke (Operation Air Bridge), WW2Aircraft.net Group Build....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For my understanding training units were at first not ordered for Reichsdefense, but later on and evidence given in a Wochenschau film (Me 109 G-6, yellow 279, 281, probably JFS Zerbst ) advanced flight cadets were thrown into it. And furthermore every aircraft which had a special function in the Reichsdefense can be build ( here e.g. Me 110 F as Pathfinder for Operation Bodenplatte ).
For real trainer aircraft i see no place, because they had no active role, but it my single opinion.

greets

Thomas

If as a pure trainer, although I see your point Evan, I'd say no, as they did not physically take part in Reichs Defence. However, as there is evidence of training UNITS being employed, as there was with the RAF, then that would be a different matter. I'm not 100% sure, but there may be evidence of the Komet trainer version seeing 'combat introduction' experience, when some were 'thrown up' in order for pilots to become accustomed to tactics and closing speeds etc. Maybe someone can clarify this.
Certainly other types, such as '109's, from training units saw combat.

Thanks Terry!

I guess I'll stick closer to the theme then, unless someone can confirm that comment about the Komet trainers.

Will have a rethink about what to enter for the build.

Alright...in the midst of all the chaos someone has called "the New Year", I've relented and dug up an old kit that's been sitting on the shelf for longer than I will admit to...

I'll head over to the Start to Finish area and post some details...

Oh, and thanks to everyone for tempting me with yet "another" project! :lol:

Nice one Dave! I'll put you on the list, just let me know what model, scale and Category when you're ready.
Terry.

Hey Terry, just for the record!

Kit: Starfix Bf109G6

Scale: 1/48

Category: 3

And I've started a thread in the "Start to Finish" category. It's going to be Schilling's 9./Jg54 Bf109G6/R4 from 1944.

Cheers Dave, all noted.
Right chaps, we now have 16 confirmed entries for the first Group Build, which isn't bad, but there's room for more! (That's 16 people, not models.)
So come on you modellers, there are four months in which to do something, anything, that fits the bill, so chuck something in and join the fun!
I'll give it a week or so, and then post an updated list of the entries. May I point out that, if you haven't already, please give some thought to the photography needed for the final pictures of your entry/entries, the ones required for judging!
I hope to have the photography guide finished very soon, which may help some of you. The judges (and the rest of the viewers!) will require good, sharp, clear pictures, from various angles, in order to reach a fair decision regarding each model entered. No doubt the actual requirements will be discussed, and the results of same posted, in order that everyone entering can provide the same type of shots.
For those new to the forum, or those guests viewing, please don't be put off by all the pre-build 'chat' that has gone before; it's natural which such a new, and enthusiastically received, idea. Sign up, or join and sign up for this, the first ww2 aircraft.net, Worldwide, internet Group Build!
All entries are welcome, whether it's a first attempt, or a First Place winner; no one will cast disparaging remarks, and everyone here will help and advise as required. We all had to start somewhere, and we are all still learning, no matter how long some of us have been at it!
I look forward to running out of note paper for the entries list!
Regards to all.
Terry.

Thanks Heinz...what we should do, is get Terry to start a camera thread where we can discuss and show off our gear :lol:

And now I have a question regarding the rules of the Gruppen build...

Class 1 is where you take a stock model out of the box and just build it, I believe. But if you realize that there is nothing for a cockpit except a little pilot who, if installed, would appear to be floating in midair, can you make a few basic mods and still remain in the Class 1 without getting put on report?
pi_freak.gif

By saying basic mods, I'm talking about placing something in there to look like a cockpit...at least a seat and backplate. This is a 1/48 kit, so there is no real hope of detail and customness, but rather something to fill the void.

Sod it! I'd just finished the reply to this, when the mouse on my PC took flight, and clicked on the 'off' button! Had to re-connect to the 'net! Must get a new one, even though the present one is only a couple of months old!
Anyway, yes, I can do something on the photography bit if you wish. And I'm sure others will want to contribute. As soon as I get the Photography Guide finished, I'll see what I can do. I've been waiting to get my own digital camera, as I'm using a slightly 'old hat' borrowed digital compact at present. I was going to get a DSLR, but can't really justify the cost, considering my slightly limited photographic involvement these days. So, I'm keeping my 'pro' 35mm equipment, and, hopefully, I'll be getting a digital 'hybrid' sometime next week - unless my financial calculations go t!ts up! The camera is a cross between a mid range DSLR and a compact, but with 10 Megapixels, 12x zoom, and super macro, and should cover most, if not all, of my present requirements.
The 'rules' for the GB are fairly simple Dave, basically as outlined below, but I'm sure Wayne will correct/explain any errors on my part.
Cat 1. Advanced/Expert, whatever you wish to call it. The use of accessories and advanced scratch-building and techniques allowed/expected.
Cat 2. Intermediate. Has good skills, and experience. A certain amount of modification/additions/scratch-building acceptable.
Cat 3. Beginner/Novice. Basic skills, able to build, paint and finish to a reasonably acceptable standard, probably 'out of the box'.
The level of detailing etc is, to a greater extent, down to the individual. But again, if Wayne doesn't mind, I'll let him answer any queries in this department.
The main requirement for ALL entrants, is to declare any mods/additions etc, and to provide photos and explanations along the way during the build. For the final judging stage, good, clear, sharp photographs will be needed for each model entered, and I think that, by the time these are required (early May), the format for the requirements will have been posted.

Oh for cryin' out loud...I was putting Catergory 1 as my entry...talk about being "bass-ackwards"...

I was meaning Category 3...lmao

But thanks for the reply, Terry! I just wanted to make sure that if I did something about the hole that is supposed to be a cockpit, I wouldn't be in foul of the rules!

I've had a number of setbacks on this kit as it is, one being time constraints and the other is that all of my modelling gear is well over 12 years old, although oddly enough, my model cement is still fresh...

I can definately provide photos for the cockpit fix :lol:

Oh for cryin' out loud...I was putting Catergory 1 as my entry...talk about being "bass-ackwards"...

and you might have been the winner since I don't think anyone else is entered. :)

, if not all, of my present requirements.
The 'rules' for the GB are fairly simple Dave, basically as outlined below, but I'm sure Wayne will correct/explain any errors on my part.
Cat 1. Advanced/Expert, whatever you wish to call it. The use of accessories and advanced scratch-building and techniques allowed/expected.
Cat 2. Intermediate. Has good skills, and experience. A certain amount of modification/additions/scratch-building acceptable.
Cat 3. Beginner/Novice. Basic skills, able to build, paint and finish to a reasonably acceptable standard, probably 'out of the box'.
The level of detailing etc is, to a greater extent, down to the individual. But again, if Wayne doesn't mind, I'll let him answer any queries in this department.
The main requirement for ALL entrants, is to declare any mods/additions etc, and to provide photos and explanations along the way during the build. For the final judging stage, good, clear, sharp photographs will be needed for each model entered, and I think that, by the time these are required (early May), the format for the requirements will have been posted.

That all sounds pretty good to me Terry....and any category does not have to modify, scratchbuild or add anything if they choose not to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back