v2's 3xP's (Poland/Planes/People) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I call BS on that big engine T28 in USAF colors. They flew the small engine version, a gutless wonder. USAF did have a program in St Augustine, modifying ex-Navy big engine T28s into fighter bombers for RVN, but they never wore USAF livery AFAIK.
I ran afoul of that outfit once. Landed in St Aug in the T34 one morning before the tower opened, looking for gas, and taxied toward what I thought was an FBO. We were promptly surrounded by M16 toting security guards, made to shut down, climb out, spread eagle on the ground and submit to search, right there on the taxiway. There was a compound visible containing some mean looking big engine T28s with droptanks, ordnance racks, wing mounted cannons, and jungle camo livery with RVN insignia. At 0800, the tower came on the air and told the security guys to stop blocking the taxiway, and we were let go, directed to the FBO, and admonished from now on to stay on the "civil" side of the airport.

Users who are viewing this thread