Versatile Heavy Bombers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i think what FB means is that they were the same as the US had, he didn't really answer your question about thier role :lol: so i will, they were target drones (well as far as i know :toothy5:)

"The Teledyne-Ryan Firebee drone was acquired by the RCAF to provide training for interceptor crews probably in anticipation of the procurement of the CF-105 Arrow interceptor. At the same time, two Lancaster Mk 10 aircraft were reactivated from storage to act as "mother" ships for the drones.

The Lancaster modifications were carried out by Fairey Aviation and included fitting of Firebee launch racks under each wing along with the associated electrical wiring and control units. The Lancasters were then operated by the Central Experimental Proving Establishment and the drones were primarily planned for testing and evaluating of then present and proposed future weapons systems. After release from the launch aircraft, the Firebees under remote control could climb to 40,00 feet in approximately 10 minutes and could be made to perform any manouevre of which contemporary high performance aircraft were capable. An airborne duration of 1 hr 20 minutes was typical. The drones could also be fitted with wingtip mounted radar reflector pods to ensure optimum radar energy reflection. Assuming the drone was not shot down, recovery was then effected by means of a two-stage parachute, which had a built-in flotation system. Refurbishment and re-use for up to 15 operational flights was possible."
:toothy5:

FLYBOYJ said:
"The Teledyne-Ryan Firebee drone was acquired by the RCAF to provide training for interceptor crews probably in anticipation of the procurement of the CF-105 Arrow interceptor. At the same time, two Lancaster Mk 10 aircraft were reactivated from storage to act as "mother" ships for the drones.

The Lancaster modifications were carried out by Fairey Aviation and included fitting of Firebee launch racks under each wing along with the associated electrical wiring and control units. The Lancasters were then operated by the Central Experimental Proving Establishment and the drones were primarily planned for testing and evaluating of then present and proposed future weapons systems. After release from the launch aircraft, the Firebees under remote control could climb to 40,00 feet in approximately 10 minutes and could be made to perform any manouevre of which contemporary high performance aircraft were capable. An airborne duration of 1 hr 20 minutes was typical. The drones could also be fitted with wingtip mounted radar reflector pods to ensure optimum radar energy reflection. Assuming the drone was not shot down, recovery was then effected by means of a two-stage parachute, which had a built-in flotation system. Refurbishment and re-use for up to 15 operational flights was possible."
:toothy5:

Thanx. I am ignorant when it comes to drones. Its one of those pieces of technology from the '50s and the '60s that I don't think about because for some strange reason my brain thinks that this type of stuff was beyond the technological scope of the era. My subconscious knows they existed but sometimes my consciousness doesn't.

:{)

I was not surprised to see who sterted this topic...
Guys lanc wants us to keep talking about the lanc forever!!!
Well he is lucky because we never get bored!! :D :D

the lancaster kicks ass said:
actually the lanc could carry a tallboy without modification, the B-24 couldn't even carry one, let alone the grandslams, could the B-24 even carry a cookie? i doubt her bomb bay would let her, which discounts anything larger, what about lifeboats, the lanc could carry them whilst the B-24 couldn't, what about the engine test beds, could the B-24 do that?

I've seen a photo of a 24 carrying a life boat and I've seen the B-24 described as performing all the rolls Adler had the Lanc doing above. Some of the atributes you have given the Lancaster after the war including engine testing and such were performed by By B-17s which were retained after the war. The transport version of the B-24 was far better than the Lancasters but as that really wasn't a very important use of the aircraft it doesn't reall matter.

The Lanc has the edge because of her bombay and equaly because the British were willing to dedicate the time and resources to persue the "Special Missions", so in a way the AAF has a part of that in the fact that enough pressure was relieved from the situation in Britian to allow such extravagances to occur. ;)

wmaxt

Lanc do you have any pics of the two RAAF Lancasters G-George or Q-Queenie that where used for fund raising tours in Australia.
Queenie (ED390) was actually the pattern aircraft for local manufacture which did not occur, and made history in 1943 by being the largest aircraft to fly under the Sydney Harbour bridge - what a sight that would have been!!
G-George W7483/A66-2 is the famous 460 squadron RAAF Lanc that flew 90 missions, including 16 to Berlin. Still proudly on display today at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

These are the only pics I have.

Attachments

• queenie_vi_110.jpg
    queenie_vi_110.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 181
  • a662lanc_209.jpg
    a662lanc_209.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 181
  • q_queenie_152.jpg
    q_queenie_152.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 178
so in a way the AAF has a part of that in the fact that enough pressure was relieved from the situation in Britian to allow such extravagances to occur

that's a bit of a stupid comment, you make it sound like you were doing all the work whilst we were faffing around wasting time...........

and no sorry i don't have any extra pics, lancs in foreign service are hard to get photos of..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back