vickers valetta 1/72nd (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
i've been going through some of my old kits again needing restoring or remaking and found another interesting subject this time models of the vickers valetta and varsity,this thread will follow the building of the valetta,the kit uses the main wings from the airfix wellington the rest being a vac form kit by contrail,pics to follow shortly

Looking forward to this one. I (just about) remember the Valetta, and the civilian version, the Viking, as a youngster. And I have a soft-spot for the Varsity (it's got to have those 'DayGlo panels on it though!).

i remember as a child seeing these flying in and out of Manston in Kent while on holiday,we used to go every year at the same dates onblock to Westgate on Sea n/r Margate,Manston's flight path was over the beach,along with the varsity and veletta's flying over were Vulcan,Argosy and Victors,i think this is where i got the bug for building models of aircraft,i even remember going to Manston to see if we could see aircraft types on the ground, they had 3 gate guardians a Spitfire/Canberra and Javilin plus in the corner behind a hanger a scrap yard,i had a great arguement with my Uncle as i identifyd a bomber in the scrap yard ,as a 10 year old my Uncle told me not to be so stupid,many years later in a copy of avaition news the bomber i had seen at Manston was mentioned as being the last complete one of its type before being scrapped with a photo,that bomber was a Hampden

That is SAD news about the Hampden Bob...what a buzz it must have been to see one for real!!!

Looking forward to the build!

(Btw, don't know if you got the PM, but drop us your adress for the PZL P-23 decals)

Evan

cheers Evan i've just sent you the details,back to the Hampden i think that it would have been better at the time if the family hadn't made me feel so small when i saw it, but to later find that i was right, i felt both happy and sad at the same time due to its fate

I'll bet... and I hear ya about the family. Why do parents always do that? (Hated being a kid myself, couldn't wait to be older and independant)

Replied to your PM too!

bob674.jpg

bob676.jpg

bob677.jpg

bob678.jpg

bob672.jpg

bob675.jpg

pics of valetta kit or whats left of it,i've found some more parts in a box that go with it plus i will have to make some from card,i plan to put some detail into the cockpit not that you will see much

i might be able to do better than that just send me your details of your request via the pm to which option you want to do

Evan i tried to send you a reply to your pm but your mailbox is full,expect a delivery shortly

Looking good so far Bob. The Valletta was 'before my time' as a para-dropping aircraft, but it must have been a bit awkward for the Paras further back (forward in the aircraft) in the 'stick', as they had to step over the main spar, which was about 10 inches high IIRC - not an easy task when loaded down with a 'chute, reserve and PWC and hurrying towards the exit door.

not been to well this week but hopefully will be back up and running shortly sorry for any delay in sending your parcel Evan

i'm still filling and rubbing down this kit and hopefully should have something to show of its progress shortly,once i get my modeling room finished i will be able to get my dremell out of storage to make these sort of jobs quicker

been working on this one again tonight and will post some more pics soon once i've downloaded them from my phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back