Volcanic ash paralyses the skies over Europe! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The funny thing is, I could see the EU actually doing something like this. They would say that to many people farting caused the volcano to erupt and therefore the taxes will be increased to pay for the environment.

Then my wife and most of the women I know would be exempt. Never met one who admits to farting. Always blaming it on the Hubby and the Dog. That would lead to the inevitable "Fart Audit" complete with a little EU official, with a set of horn rim glasses, following you around all day with some kind of gas detector. And the exemptions would be numberous. Does it count when you fart while taking a dump? And what about the fake ones you do in the crook of your arm. Is that like calling the police with a false report? Will some foods (baked bean, broccoli, ect) have a tax on them for gas potential? Will they be banned? If you eat beans, broccoli and a coulple of beligian beers, will that be considered an assault on the environment punishable with jail time?

Oh man, this can go all over the place.

Last edited:
i was still working for the airlines the first time this happened...the AC ( or anyone else) didnt know to track the ash and it nearly brought down a BA plane. now at any natural disaster the AC on the ground need to be inspected and all AC are kept from that airspace ( depending on the disaster ). history channel had this on a long time ago....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FUUwxw0kVk

I remember back in 1980 when Mount Saint Hellens erupted ash was on our cars and we live in New Jersey. Its amazing the impact just one of these things can have on the environment.

Mount Saint Helens, Mount Pinatubo, etc. All poignant reminders from nature that we as humans "aren't all that." Nature can destroy or at least severely screw up civilization in many different ways and in significantly less time.

Just waiting for some wacko to claim that this erruption was caused by global warming...

Small parts of UK airspace have re-opened, with flights operating from Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Teeside. Everything else is shut until at least 0100 tomorrow. Ryanair have announced that they are cancelling all flights up to Thursday morning, except UK-Ireland services which are cancelled up to Friday morning. Thomson have also announced all flights are cancelled until tomorrow morining. All-in-all, still a mess, another cloud of gunk is thought to be en route and the really big volcano next door to the one erupting is expected to go off some time around next summer. Happy days :rolleyes:

The letters page of The Sun today actually had a letter from a reader who wanted to point out that Iceland already caused the failure of the British economy and were now responsible for crippling air travel too. Apparently, they seemed to think that Iceland had "a lot to answer for", and should behave themselves better in future. I'm sure the Icelandic Department of Vulcanolgy are holding a serious case review as we speak :rolleyes:

I just heard that one was starting to brew up in Sweden

yeah I know all about that weiner up to our north in 1980 when it blew. some folks 300 miles south down here said they heard it pop. blew ash around the world twice, we even flew out to Europe from Portland Or, that week in a full fusilade of ash everything was covered at Portland Metro the warning was not to rub any of that ash on yourself or anything with any type of paint job or it ws going to be history.

i was still working for the airlines the first time this happened...the AC ( or anyone else) didnt know to track the ash and it nearly brought down a BA plane. now at any natural disaster the AC on the ground need to be inspected and all AC are kept from that airspace ( depending on the disaster ). history channel had this on a long time ago....

I was channel surfing tonight and came a show on National Geographic about the BA flight. I was totally amazed at the stuff volcano ash can do to an aircraft. They set the record for gliding a large powered aircraft for awhile.

Too long to post, but a great read. British Airways Flight 9

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back