Warbirds Over Wanaka - New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It looks like it will be a really great show. I found an error though in their list of planes. Under the description for the Corsair, it says....

Goodyear FG1D Corsair
This aircraft is powered by a 2000hp Pratt and Whitney radial engine and can cruise at 44,000ft. It can travel at 450mph with a range of 1500km without refueling. Nicknamed "Whispering Death" by the Japanese because of its exceptionally quiet approach, the Corsair soon helped gain air superiority. Corsair NZ5648 is the last remaining of the 400 operated by the RNZAF during WWII.

If it was called Whispering Death, then my mistake. I have always read it was called Whistling Death because of the sound created from the air intakes. Besides, I don't think the word "quiet" fits the 2000hp Double Wasp.

Whispering Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whispering Death may refer to

A name applied to the Bristol Beaufighter, an aircraft of World War II
A name applied to the OV-1 Mohawk, an aircraft of the Cold War era[1]
A nickname of the F-111 Aardvark, an aircraft of the Cold War era
The Whispering Death a novel by Daniel Carney that was filmed as-
Albino (film), a 1976 German movie based on Carney's novel
A name applied to the Victorian Railways L class (electric) railway engine
The nickname of Michael Holding, a West Indian cricketer
A nickname in the United Kingdom for the MAC-10 machine pistol
See also

"Whistling Death", a name applied to the F4U Corsair fighter of World War II

But to be honest, would the Japanese have referred to an enemies plane with that sort of language? I kind of think it may have been a good bit of propaganda from the allies. Whistling, whispering, fork-tailed Death from Above! The BS Historian

But thats a different thread all together.

The Zero from Camarillo is heading, by sea, to New Zealand to appear in the Warbirds Over Wanaka Airshow. Take good care of her, Kiwis!

I heard it was held up in leaving the States , cause it was a 'Weapon of War' and it wasn't gonna be here in time

Did I hear wrong? hope so , would be cool to see a Zero 8)

Anyone else from round here or Oz coming down? I dunno what I'm doing yet but my brother's flying down and he wants me to take his car down for him

...would have some seats spare.....

Hope your right Evan ,

But

It wouldn't be the first time , a Spitfire was held up for months in leaving the US because of being a 'Potential weapon of war'
Finally arrived here all for the owner to crash in soon after. THEN less than a year later after it was repaired he crashed it again....

I was in South Island and the new friends I had made were going to Wanaka and I ended up going too. Had a great time. Pity the wind cancelled the final beat up on the Saturday. I also would like to have stayed in NZ-pity the ash happened a week later than it did.... Am intending to go to 75 (NZ) Sqn reunion in Christchurch 2012 so if that is same time of year will take in Wanaka too (if I havent found some way of moving over there permanently)...
Dee :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back