Water and Sand

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff. The first pic in post#38 looks like the Flug Werke 190 which ditched just off the beach in the south of France, either last year, or the year before.
The others are fascinating, especially the relatively good condition of the real FW190, and the Dauntless.

Its does say "water and Sand"!!!

3726703030_3a3f6e141e_z.jpg
20130401231935-_MG_2551reweb1200.jpg
avro-shackelton-crash-wreck-sahara-desert.jpg
kapadokya-myo-taban-puanlari-799c42.jpg
plane.jpg

Terry, the Shack is a South African one and I think it was an attempt to return the aircraft to the UK for airshow displays after the Safas had retired them, but it suffered engine failure and was abandoned in the desert. Just looking on the net, I found this:

"Shackleton 1716 was re-furbished to flying condition for the SAAF Museum, but had the unfortunate experience to crash land in the Sahara desert near the border with Mauritania on 13 July 1994 whilst on a flight to Great Britain to take part in a number of air shows. It suffered a number of engine failures and was forced to land in the dark, without any loss of life to the 19 crew on board. Another Shackleton 1722 has been re-conditioned to flying status and flies as part of the SAAF Historical Flight in Cape Town."

Here: The South African Air Force

Yep, that's an Albatross...

Thanks Grant, I vaguely remember a SA Shack being lost back then. Darned shame, as the sound of those contra props on four Griffons is unique. I've always thought the 'Albert Ross' would make a good 'touring holiday' aircraft - bit thirsty maybe, but could have some fun cruising around the Med or somewhere exotic !

Great shots! Imagine going for a wander in the woods, and suddenly coming across something like a FW190 !
Jim, if you mean the fourth shot, it doesn't look like a Blenheim just going off the nacelle and wing form - might be that B-25 from another angle, or perhaps a Japanese aircraft?
I'm wondering if the B-17 in the first shot is one which crashed into the hills near me, after the crew bailed out down near the Norfolk coast. The terrain looks very similar, and the one I'm thinking of was once in large 'chunks' like that,back in the late 1960s, before erosion and recovery left only small fragments.

Brilliant thread Chris with some great photographs. Isn't also great to know that many of these aircraft wrecks have been or will be retrieved and restored in time. The fact that in these times of world hardship, there is not only the enthusiasm, drive and shear determination a few diehard but also the money is being found in personal wealth, donations or charities to bring many of these machines back to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back