What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And here's the details from yesterday's encounter:

The kid has a 2006 Honda Civic that is all tricked out.
He bought some remote-controlled color changing LED turn signal bulbs from Amazon (illegal in California: only amber to the front and amber or red to the rear allowed) for the front and rear of the car.

The problem is, the turn signals flash rapidly and the car's check engine light comes on.

The diagnostic code is a "soft code" that indicates a "system below threshold" but doesn't say where.

He replaced his alternator, battery and several other components based on the advice of several YouTube videos, but hasn't been able to solve the mystery of the rapid flashing of his LEDs or the recurring check engine light.

What's going on: his car was designed for standard (incandescent) bulbs which put resistance back into the circuit. This resistance is not only monitored by his car's computer but also provides the needed resistance to make the bimetal arm in his turn signal relay interrupt the turn signal circuit and thus "blink" at a regular interval.

What I suggested: use a solid state flasher or at least put resistors inline for the front and rear feed.

His reaction: since my advice wasn't on a YouTube channel, I didn't know what I was talking about.

And now ya'll know why I was on a tirade last night...

Last edited:

He bought some remote-controlled color changing LED turn signal bulbs from Amazon (illegal in California: only amber to the front and amber or red to the rear allowed) for the front and rear of the car.

The problem is, the turn signals flash rapidly and the car's check engine light comes on.

The diagnostic code is a "soft code" that indicates a "system below threshold" but doesn't say where.

He replaced his alternator, battery and several other components based on the advice of several YouTube videos, but hasn't been able to solve the mystery of the rapid flashing of his LEDs or the recurring check engine light.

What's going on: his car was designed for standard (incandescent) bulbs which put resistance back into the circuit. This resistance is not only monitored by his car's computer but also provides the needed resistance to make the bimetal arm in his turn signal relay interrupt the turn signal circuit and thus "blink" at a regular interval.

What I suggested: use a solid state flasher or at least put resistors inline for the front and rear feed.

His reaction: since my advice wasn't on a YouTube channel, I didn't know what I was talking about.

Man, you may want to print some of these and start give them to people:

Screenshot_2023-07-10-16-04-53-10_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Ya can't fix stoopid. :rolleyes:

The arrogance of some youth, been there, done that, know it all................................................................. Like................"I have UTube". :D

When my youngest sister wanted help regestering a car I found for her, I pointed out at 70 years old, she could do this herself. After a fit about how "I never do anything for her", my wife reminded her of the stuff she put in my garage 18 years ago for "just six months" rent free. She went away blubbering.

I got an answer from my ISP on the idiot notices they forwarded from the nightmare bloody network

Apparently they were PARTIAL not total shutdowns and the time was in GMT. East coast Australia's time zone is GMT -10. Why the @#$%^ would you use GMT instead of local time. If you want to use GMT then say so. Anyone with a bit of nous would have known this.

As I said before nightmare bloody network run by nothing but nitwits with no bloody nous. To be an nbn employee no brains needed.

probably only people like the person who was head of the welfare department here who caused dozens of suicides by using illegal practices. Being a public servant she cannot be sacked even though the Royal Commission found her to be a liar and incompetent and many other things in their report (only 1052 pages made public).

She is now the head public servant for the AUKUS nuclear submarine deal so that is now gauranteed to be a total cluster****

Attachments

• report_of-the-royal-commission-into-the-robodebt-scheme.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I got home. But I damned sure wished for a pintle-mounted .50 MG with controller built into the transmission stick. As it was, I had to channel my SoCal driving skills to carry the day. Once you've done I-10 at rush hour, you're trained.
I-10 is for amateurs!

The 405 or I-5 is where the wheat gets separated from the chaff...

I-10 is for amateurs!

The 405 or I-5 is where the wheat gets separated from the chaff...

You think I haven't driven the Sepulveda Pass? Or San Fran?

I was talking about boot camp, not tech school. I did the rush hour on I-10 with less than ten hours on a stick-shift 73 Toyota Corolla. I can still throw elbows like a mofo, indeed my current truck is a stick. I only do three pedals.

It just doesn't have a .50 pintle mount, damn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back