What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The pastor at a previous church, three kids of his own, told of a deacon meeting one Saturday evening, where one deacon stayed back to ask how he could get control of his 12 year old daughter. The pastor said, "Let's kneel here and pray." The deacon said, "What shall we pray for?" "Pray that when we get up, she is eighteen."
My kids have all threatened to move out as soon as they turn 18. My wife and I told them we'll rent the U-Haul for them.
Four have left the nest, two have returned.

My kids have all threatened to move out as soon as they turn 18. My wife and I told them we'll rent the U-Haul for them.
Four have left the nest, two have returned.
Ahhh... Dont blame them . You have the boomerang gen.
Its a good thing. Costly but good..
Means whatever you f-ed up in your life, you did one thing good. Being a parent.
Now... no medals, no cookies but well done..

Sorry. New regulations for marriage certificates. You have to go to the court house and get a new one with a registration
number which is to ensure there is no identity theft. How that will stop ID theft I don't know.
A friend discovered that his driver's license had expired some months before. GA does not send you a reminder notice and dispite his being involved in two traffic accidents since the expiration date, no police officer noted the fact the license had expired. He then found that, like many states, his requires a copy of a birth certificate; he did not have a copy handy. He found that his home town would not provide a copy of a birth certificate without .... a valid ID, such as a valid driver's license. He was then forced to manipulate the image of his old license to make it "valid" for ordering a birth certificate. He eventually got a response from the home town that they were "having trouble with their systems" and could not provide a copy of his birth certificate. He eventually found an original copy of his birth certificate in his mother's personal effects, but it was not an "official" copy. The driver's license office agreed that was good enough and he finally renewed his driver's license.

Almost hard to believe that this is not a coordinated effort to render actual citizens indistinguishable from illegal aliens, isn't it?

A friend discovered that his driver's license had expired some months before. GA does not send you a reminder notice and dispite his being involved in two traffic accidents since the expiration date, no police officer noted the fact the license had expired. He then found that, like many states, his requires a copy of a birth certificate; he did not have a copy handy. He found that his home town would not provide a copy of a birth certificate without .... a valid ID, such as a valid driver's license. He was then forced to manipulate the image of his old license to make it "valid" for ordering a birth certificate. He eventually got a response from the home town that they were "having trouble with their systems" and could not provide a copy of his birth certificate. He eventually found an original copy of his birth certificate in his mother's personal effects, but it was not an "official" copy. The driver's license office agreed that was good enough and he finally renewed his driver's license.

Almost hard to believe that this is not a coordinated effort to render actual citizens indistinguishable from illegal aliens, isn't it?
That's interesting given the hassles I posted for us to get our police clearances. My wife didn't get her drivers licence renewal and we realised hers
was out of date a while ago so we went to the licensing centre to tell them.

We thought at the time it could be a case of identity proof and blah blah but when we got to see the lady at the computer she said have you got
your old licence card. Yes. That was handed over and she put the number in. No worries - how long do you want to renew it for - 5 years - ok,
that'll be this much - paid - interim sheet printed - your new card will be in the mail soon. Thanks.

Total opposite to the balls up we are going through now.

That's interesting given the hassles I posted for us to get our police clearances. My wife didn't get her drivers licence renewal and we realised hers
was out of date a while ago so we went to the licensing centre to tell them.

We thought at the time it could be a case of identity proof and blah blah but when we got to see the lady at the computer she said have you got
your old licence card. Yes. That was handed over and she put the number in. No worries - how long do you want to renew it for - 5 years - ok,
that'll be this much - paid - interim sheet printed - your new card will be in the mail soon. Thanks.

Total opposite to the balls up we are going through now.

Sometimes it all depends on the person on the other side of the desk/phone. This story from yesterday is a classic example of the difference between a customer support person and a customer support employee.

The library that has the manual that has the pages I need for completing the Panther manual I have posted at RAF engine documents has replied and will send me 600 dpi scans of the six pages today but there is one problem. The idiotic Australian Copyright Act - 2019 allows them to provide copies only if I sign a declaration that comes direct from the Act.

1694057987443.png

The pages I want have been out of copyright since 1958 but the act has no provision for libraries to provide copies of material that is out of copyright!!!!!!!

According to the sign in the Hamilton library last time I was there the Kiwi act is basically if it is out of print and cannot be obtained from another source your library can copy it.

As part of my "research" to request the library concerned allow me to post these 6 pages on line I looked at the UK copyright act to determine the actual copyright expiry date on the manual and I found that the Australian Copyright Act 2019 is 689 pages, the Australian Patents Act is a further 250 pages and the Australian Trade Marks act an additional 245 pages being 1154 pages total while the UK has an older single Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 covering all areas covered by the above three Australian acts combined content in just 322 pages.

The older UK act is far better laid out and far far far easier to interpret.

As a general comment on Aus laws they are often badly conceived and badly written - for example when they bought out the first anti-bogus-parts law here it included the paragraph that used parts must be accompanied with a certificate stating that they were new. :facepalm::facepalm:

If brains were gasoline then all the staff of the Aus Office of Legal Drafting combined
would not have enough to start a cigarette lighter.

It's the Iron Law of Regulation:

"There is no form of market failure, however egregious, which is not eventually made worse by the political interventions intended to fix it".

Unfortunately that holds true for a lot of other regulations - all with good intentions but not always looked at from the point of view of
ensuring they don't flow on to something else. I call that the cascading cockup effect.

It's the Iron Law of Regulation:

"There is no form of market failure, however egregious, which is not eventually made worse by the political interventions intended to fix it".

Unfortunately that holds true for a lot of other regulations - all with good intentions but not always looked at from the point of view of
ensuring they don't flow on to something else. I call that the cascading cockup effect.

Many regulations and "standards" are worse than that. They are the direct result of the desires of vested interests.

Everyone who is affected by the Westminster system of government has heard that a particular law or regulation was tabled in parliament but few know what that means.

There is a specific table that the people who write the laws (Office of Legal Drafting and Office of Legal Council in Australia) put all their output on.

At the end of a set period, usually 10 working days, if no politician, or politicians staffer, has lodged an official rejection against the draft it becomes law. I call this law by stealth as a lot of these drafts are tabled during periods when politicians and staffers are absent or when they are busy with preparation for debate on a contentions matter, or during elections when they cannot object as they are officially out of office until re-elected. This is how you get laws that say used parts must be accompanied with a certificate stating that they were new.

The Australian Standards organisation is worse in some ways. They put out a draft of a proposed change to a Standard for comment (but you need to monitor their site to know what drafts have been released and the comment closure date) and the vast majority of the comments come from vested interests who closely monitor the site, so when 20 comments are pro something the vested interests want and less are for a more sensible change then the majority gets their way. As an example in most countries scuba cylinders must be hydro tested every five years but in Aus it is annually. The testing must be done by an organisation that also must have its licence renewed at great expense annually which keeps minor players out of the market. This in turn means most divers who live in non metropolitan areas must ship their cylinders to a metro area to get tested and that increases the possibility that a bottle is damaged in transit so non metro divers have a much higher reject rate on their cylinders.

Last edited:
When I was on active duty in the USAF I found that in some cases its does not matter what the law passed by Congress says, but what the lawyers say.

The Commercial Space Launch Act of 1984 required that the Federal Govt make available excess facilities to the commercial space launch industry. We had some on the Cape. But a private firm said that if we made those facilities available to private firms the firm would be so badly harmed that they would go out of business. The JAGs said that settled it; we could not follow the law. The unused facilities were torn down rather than provided to private industry, despite the law.

When I was on active duty in the USAF I found that in some cases its does not matter what the law passed by Congress says, but what the lawyers say.

The Commercial Space Launch Act of 1984 required that the Federal Govt make available excess facilities to the commercial space launch industry. We had some on the Cape. But a private firm said that if we made those facilities available to private firms the firm would be so badly harmed that they would go out of business. The JAGs said that settled it; we could not follow the law. The unused facilities were torn down rather than provided to private industry, despite the law.
Was it Boeing?

I slept through 3 quakes while I lived in California. I went back to visit NYC and slept through the one earthquake to hit the city in, like, forever. My friends told me to go back to Cal and my dang earthquakes with me.
In a related story, I was on a train coming into the Long Island Rail Road's main station over elevated tracks. Jamaica station was holding us out and didn't answer the radio. In fact, they were holding everyone out. Finally a message got through the chatter that the station was evacuated due to earthquake. We couldn't feel it and everything was fine. When I finally get home I get a call from the crew dispatcher. "Want hut duty in Jamaica?" That was not only overtime but a hut! Huts are remote switching stations and I was a known "hut slut".
I was sent for "Earthquake duty".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back