What book are you reading? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

By Tank into Normandy
Stuart Hills first hand account of D day and fighting in the Bocarge as a Sherman DD tank commander.

The Night Gardener by Goerge Pelecanos
This guys become my summer reading after reading one of his books I have been going through everything he's got in print one by one.
Very well written local-for me- storys. He was also a producer and writer on The Wire (also one of my favorite shows of all time) so he's got the inner city crime beat down.

Norman Davies- "Europe at War 1939-1945. No Simple Victory."

Introduction

Over sixty years have passed since the end of the Second World War. And most people would assume that the broad outlines of that terrible conflict would have been established long since. Innumerable books have been published on the subject. Thousands of films have been screened, portraying every aspect of military events and civilian ordeals. Countless memoirs of participants great and small have been collected. Hundreds of major monuments and scores of museums have been created to keep the memory of the war alive. One might think that there is nothing new to add. At least, one is tempted to think that way until one starts to examine what is actually said and what is not said.

Attachments

• p1128.jpg
    p1128.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 86
Just finished Hills. By Tank into Normandy and found out lots about the advantages and disadvantages between fighting with the Firefly and the standard M4 Shermans

The seige of Vicksburg right now.I like to read Civil War right now because with a good map you can see the troop movements and sometimes see the next move.The other thing is that Vicksburg is about 150miles to my NW,nice park and a fairly large battlefield.The CW presented itself with many personalities on both sides that made stange decisions that leave you :confused:

I have three books on my desk at the moment and the next three are waiting for reading.

1.P-51B/C over Third Reich.
2.P-51D/K overThird Reich.
3.P-40 the desert sharks

Attachments

• P-51B_C.jpg
    P-51B_C.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 74
  • P-51D_K.jpg
    P-51D_K.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 75
  • P-40.jpg
    P-40.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 74
Im reading two books at the moment

"Japanese Army Operations In the South Pacific Area" translated by Steve Bulllard, Australian Ear memorial, 2007.

Its an account of generally well known operations in the South Pacific, but told from the operational Point of View of the japanese High Command. gives some reasonable detail on formations that served, planning and execution of operations. Im only up to the capture of rabaul and the Lae-Wewak and Admiralty Islands Groups.

I would rate it as a good information source, but a bit hard to read, The rtanslation is fine, but the layout, being based on a Japanese source, is a bit hard to follow.

2nd Book

"Fighting In Hell - The German Ordeal On The Eastern Front" Edited by Peter Tsouras, Presidio Press, 1995. Its a collection of essays and reports done for the US Army in 1950-52 by some ex-members of the german General Staff. Some of the original authors. It included work by Halder himself, , Erhard Rauss, General Erfuth and Von Greiffenburg an impressive representation.. Its language is a bit dated, and its a little on the patronising side in its accounts, but it gives an excellent insight into the problems and successes that the Wehrmacht encountered on the Eastern front. Suffice it to say that the latter day myths and legends that have been nurtured by some, including some in this place, are pretty much debunked by this little book.

Attachments

• Fighting In hell Jacket.jpg
    Fighting In hell Jacket.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Japanese Army operations In South pacific Front Cover.jpg
    Japanese Army operations In South pacific Front Cover.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 88
I'm working my way through "The Bear and The Dragon" by Tom Clancy
"Catch-22" again and "1984" by George Orwell.

Can anybody recommend any really good Tom Clancy books. I've read Red Storm Rising, The Hunt for Red October and Debt of Honor and looking for some new good ones.

I'm reading two at the moment as well:

Still trying to read this one, Slash from guns n roses autobiography,

And the book from the two brothers who own and operate the fishing vessel Time bandit, of deadliest catch fame on the discovery channel:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back