What British weapon represents Britain (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh agreed! On all accounts. I too have worked with folks from all over. Including Japan, and my Daughter in Law is from Turkey to boot. So I do understand. Have to say though when talking to people from anywhere except the UK we all tend to agree they tend to be the most difficult to deal with. But not all folks from the UK, specifically those in mid level and upper management. Their military tends to be easy to work with and pragmatic as most military folks are. And the rank and file are all fine to deal with. But as my wife describes them the "Toffee Noses" are pretty much useless.
A umber of years ago I worked on an IT project with the EU representing the UK INsurance Brokers defining the rules for electronic trading (this was before the Internet) and there were representatives from France, Switzerland, Spain, Germany, the EU, Italy and the USA.
It was interesting how the national stereotypes seemed to be displayed

The French had already done it, when you knew they hadn't
The Germans were always correct and wouldn't deviate from the theoretical rule book, even though in the real world they did
The Swiss, well they knew how to party
The Italians always promised to deadlines that you knew they couldn't make as they were imposiible
The EU reps started at 09.00 and not a minute before, and finished at 17.00 not a minute later
The Spanish were always taking longer than the rest for lunch
And the USA were the only group to bring a lawyer

Interestingly enough this was an actual set of meetings

I missed one observation, the Weapon that most defines the British is of course

Roll of drums

Tea

How could it be anything else!!

In which case the accompanying British weapon must be the Vickers Machine gun. Just a few belts fired non-stop will bring the water in the cooling jacket to just the right temperature ( a little gun oil in the tea just fortifies it).

A umber of years ago I worked on an IT project with the EU representing the UK INsurance Brokers defining the rules for electronic trading (this was before the Internet) and there were representatives from France, Switzerland, Spain, Germany, the EU, Italy and the USA.
It was interesting how the national stereotypes seemed to be displayed

The French had already done it, when you knew they hadn't
The Germans were always correct and wouldn't deviate from the theoretical rule book, even though in the real world they did
The Swiss, well they knew how to party
The Italians always promised to deadlines that you knew they couldn't make as they were imposiible
The EU reps started at 09.00 and not a minute before, and finished at 17.00 not a minute later
The Spanish were always taking longer than the rest for lunch
And the USA were the only group to bring a lawyer

Interestingly enough this was an actual set of meetings
Yep, you pretty well nailed it, of course now the EU brings lawyers for everyone.

For the importance of tea to the British Army I suggest reading anyone of Spike Milligan's war memoirs. In fact read them anyway. 'Adolph Hitler: My Part in His Downfall' is the funniest book I have ever read.
Maybe humour is a much underrated British weapon :)
Cheers
Steve

The Vickers machine gun hot water for tea trick has often thought to be apocryphal but certainly happpend at least once!
Wasn't as oily as you would imagine.

The effect of a hot cup of tea on a cold night is like a gift from the gods.

So the Vickers is the greatest British weapon representative as it Makes tea and is one of the most reliable weapons ever made.

Spike Milligan
Sigh.
Maybe he is a symbol of comedy and weaponry as he served as a lance bombardier in the ww2
He was a very funny man.

The Australian application of british understatement....

"You could say that" = "maybe but you are probably an idiot"
"You would say that" = "you are an idiot"

"You could say that" = "maybe but you are probably an idiot"
"You would say that" = "you are an idiot"
I don't know why this is a point of discussion, Google "He would say that wouldn't he?" It sounds like an every day statement but Google takes you straight to Mandy Rice Davies. It is part of language.
Mandy Rice-Davies - Wikipedia

No President of the USA will ever say "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" because the last one that did was being "economical with the actualité", which if you Google takes you to Kenneth Clarke (a British politician).
Alan Clark - Wikipedia
Dear old Rupert Murdoch is an Australian, also a master of miss speaking. Personally I hope to move to the USA because having watched a lot of criminal dramas from there I can spot a criminal in 2 seconds, they all have British home counties acting school accents. Being a cross between a Smoggie and a Tyke I will be as safe as houses.

Last edited:
Based on the rapid expansion of the British Empire in the 18th and 19th Centuries, add Gunboat Diplomacy to 'tea'.

No President of the USA will ever say "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" because the last one that did was being "economical with the actualité",

You gotta admire a president who was impeached for getting is wang out, rather than for something actually serious, like, I dunno, constantly lying, communications with the Russians when so many have said it didn't happen, tax evasion...

You gotta admire a president who was impeached for getting is wang out, rather than for something actually serious, like, I dunno, constantly lying, communications with the Russians when so many have said it didn't happen, tax evasion...

I was purely speaking about how language changes and big statements can change the use of a word almost overnight. There is no doubt that Mr Trump has and will mangle my language for the next few years. Whether the changes are seen as positive or negative depends on what he does.

I had Blair as a Prime Minister, I am accustomed to lies in politics (sadly)

Yep, pbehn, so did I, I lived in the UK under Blair and Major; managed to narrowly miss Thatcher. Yes, granted, all politicians lie, but using that as an excuse shouldn't be a justification for it, if one does, especially as often as... Getting too politicky.

Yep, pbehn, so did I, I lived in the UK under Blair and Major; managed to narrowly miss Thatcher. Yes, granted, all politicians lie, but using that as an excuse shouldn't be a justification for it, if one does, especially as often as... Getting too politicky.
As I said, I was purely talking about language and how it changes. I was in Paris when Major was put in to power but working in Scotland when Blair was elected, having heard various EU politicians say "There can be no democratic objection to the EU project" or variations on that theme I have no idea what is going on in my own country let alone the European continent and as for the USA and other nations I get a 10 second sound bite which I doubt anyone here would recognize.

I don't know why this is a point of discussion, Google "He would say that wouldn't he?" It sounds like an every day statement but Google takes you straight to Mandy Rice Davies. It is part of language.
Mandy Rice-Davies - Wikipedia

The actual quote is "well he would [deny even having met her] wouldn't he"

It sounds much better than her reply recalled by another lawyer present.
"Of course it's not untrue that I have had relations with Lord Astor. I'm not going to perjure myself in court."
What she actually said doesn't matter, even the alleged quote is almost invariably misquoted in common usage today, as in Pbehn's post above.
It's not really an expression at all. It's just a reply to a question which, in the context of a reply to a barrister about one of the upper classes who was alleged to have had been having 'below stairs' sex with a young lady of more modest birth and somewhat loose morals by the hypocritical standards of the day, resonated with the majority of the British people.

She did alright for herself did Mandy, and had a nice turn of phrase. Anyone who can describe their life as "one slow descent into respectability" is alright with me.

Cheers

Steve

I don't think I need to explain this....
15590456_1430039360348997_3825781679255541117_n.jpg

I would seriously suggest that a weapon to represent Britain and her maritime empire should be a ship. Victory is a good call, but I would go for Dreadnought.

Aeroplanes are too modern, they are such parvenu :)
The RAF survived by being the poor relation. It's percentage of defence spending didn't break 10% until 1924, 15% by 1930, and was still only 20% in 1935.
I'm afraid I can't allow the Spitfire (or Lancaster, Mosquito or anything else with wings)!

Cheers

Steve

How about the longbow? Agincourt and all that...plus, it was the origin for the quintessentially English gesture for telling someone to go away in short, sharp jerky movements.

blitz.6.gif

V for Victory my *rse!

Gets my vote! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back