What British weapon represents Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apparently the Frenchman, Nicholas Appert, used bottles to preserve food for Napoleon's army (boo, hiss), so we can discount him.

It was an Englishmen, Peter Durand, with a suspiciously French looking surname, who first used tin containers. The system went into commercial production in 1813, just in time for the Battle of Waterloo :)

Another Briton, Thomas Kensett, emigrated to the US taking the method to New York with him.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Apparently the Frenchman, Robert Durand, used bottles to preserve food for Napoleon's army (boo, hiss), so we can discount him.

It was an Englishmen, Peter Durand, with a suspiciously French looking surname, who first used tin containers. The system went into commercial production in 1813, just in time for the Battle of Waterloo :)

Another Briton, Thomas Kensett, emigrated to the US taking the method to New York with him.

Cheers

Steve
Obviously Robert Durand the Frenchman was a sworn enemy of Peter Durand the Englishman?

One aspect of ww1 is technology which wasn't bullets or bombs but had a major impact on war.
Tinned food, radio, internal combustion engine, telephone, photography, chemistry and even women in the work place allowed total war on a 24 hour scale.
A study of ww1 cannot be a study of war but also the social and technology advances from medicine to women's rights.

Obviously Robert Durand the Frenchman was a sworn enemy of Peter Durand the Englishman?

That was a typo! The Frenchman who bottled food stuffs to preserve them was Nicholas Appert. I have edited my erroneous post.

The surname Durand (or Durant) is of French origin, but dates back to the Norman conquest. Alternatively, one of his ancestors might have been a Huguenot, as is the case for General de la Billiere who commanded British forces in the Gulf War, or a friend of mine with the surname Bricusse.

Cheers

Steve

One aspect of ww1 is technology which wasn't bullets or bombs but had a major impact on war.
Tinned food, radio, internal combustion engine, telephone, photography, chemistry and even women in the work place allowed total war on a 24 hour scale.
A study of ww1 cannot be a study of war but also the social and technology advances from medicine to women's rights.
I worked for a while at a pipe factory near Dusseldorf called Rath. Every time we had visitors from my company they were given a "mill tour". Of course it was the same thing every time and I started to notice things. At the start of the tour the manager always said "Mannessmann Rath was built to satisfy an increased demand for seamless pipes in the early nineteen hundreds" with a strange smile on his face.

The "increase in demand" was for artillery gun barrels.

That was a typo! The Frenchman who bottled food stuffs to preserve them was Nicholas Appert. I have edited my erroneous post.

The surname Durand (or Durant) is of French origin, but dates back to the Norman conquest. Alternatively, one of his ancestors might have been a Huguenot, as is the case for General de la Billiere who commanded British forces in the Gulf War, or a friend of mine with the surname Bricusse.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for clarifying. It is a fact though that the ideas and patents were exchanged or bought between those English and Frenchmen even though its military importance was known. I suspect that at the time people were not as "sworn enemies" as governments would like to think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back