What is your favourite city in the world?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would'nt dare Skim me old man was a ABS in the RN he would have me on jankers before I drew me tot of navy neaters.

Why, oh why can't they bring back the daily tot? :cry:
In sixteen years I've had a grand total of four "proper" tots, done the traditional way with the old pusser rum. Mmmmm, good! :D
Ah, the good old days! :lol:

"Jankers" is old military slang for punishment or defaulters, and by "Navy neaters" he's referring to the old tradition of the daily rum ration aboard RN, RAN, and RCN ships.

Right? ;)

evening les Jankers = punishment duties tot = rum ration
Navy Neaters = one name of many for the type of thick Jamaican Dark rum a tot used to have water added to make it a bit less syrupy but it could still take the paint off of a battleship Last time I saw some Skim was in Cornwall for £39 a bottle.
Bugger you beat me to it skim wish i could type faster :lol:

so has this 'thing' landed or is it taking off ?

Fat lady butt ugly if you ask me ...........

My grandad was ex-RM and the first thing he ever taught me to do was drink :D By the age of eight, I was drinking whisky on the stroke of New Year and by 12 I was having straight :lol: Seems that if you were on a boat prior to the 70s, alcohol was the number one concern! :D

Oddly enough, my dad was present at one of the last ever RN rum issues. He was an air cadet at the time, and had gone a naval aviation course. He was on either HMS Albion or HMS Ocean when the ship made it's last issue. Needless to say being a nipper, he didnt get any! :lol:

The RN did away with the tot in 1970, but we kept it around until '72. It was one Kipper tradition we were reluctant to do away with. :cry:

Of course, the daily issue was well before my time but the tot is still sometimes authorized for special occasions. =P~

We used to get Lobster on special occasions while deployed.... And if we were at sea for longer than 90 days consecutivly, we were allowed 2 beers... (We ended up with a "Few" more than 2 each... Hehe)

I was part of one of these "Beer Days" off the coast of Somolia.... I have a few pics from that day somewhere..... Ill look and see if i can find em....... I have it all on video tape though... Hilarious....

A bunch of drunk SEALs singing Alive by Pearl Jam, inside a portable Sat Comm Unit latched to the flight deck...... Those were the days...

Sounds like a hoot. :lol:
Mmmmm, lobster! We once saved some Norwegian fishermen off the Grand Banks, and in gratitude they gave us crates of fresh shrimp and a bunch of lobsters. We ate like kings for days!

You might already know this, but the USN actually had the daily rum ration up until 1914.

I cant find the pics.... Dammmit....

Thats a great sea story Skim..... I remember being on the USS Newport News and we rescued a bunch of Haitians in shark infested waters... We didnt get any sort of goodies, but we did get the chance to sink a 45 foot vessel with small arms fire....... (I'd rather have the lobster)

Kinda similar to what u did Skim..... I remember seein a pic u posted.......

Yeah, but we were just practicing on an abandoned dhow. That was in the Gulf one time.
And as I said before, I don't get to fire the .50 cal a whole lot. Hence the piss poor marksmanship. :oops:

Yea - but wait till shore leave :evil4: :drinking: :evilbat:

Thank god I didn't do sea duty. Les- I know you're going to call me a polliwog, but at least I could have a beer after work!

STORY: I was on deployment in Hawaii in 98.' The carriers Kittyhawk and Independence came into Pearl at the same time, the last time 2 large carriers were in Pearl was prior to WW2 (I wonder why). Anyway when all those Marines and Sailors were let loose, downtown Waikiki looked like a scene from the movie "1941." :eeeeek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back