What the Heck?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are photo and scheme of Kl.35 + DFS.230 composite aircraft and photo of Fw.56 + DFS 230 joint. Both variants couldn't take off without help, and were towed by Ju.52/3m. After the take-off they flew independently.

Attachments

• 35_230.jpg
    35_230.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 35_230.gif
    35_230.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 56_230.jpg
    56_230.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 77
Great models. And Comiso, that must have been a 3,000m strip to support your Henschel/glider project. :)

Downhill on top of a 10,000 foot mountain with a shear dropoff at the end of the runway!

Off the top of my head and without checking sources, I believe the Jumo 004s (for Me 262) had about 10 to 12 hours before service. Now what the He 162 and others used escapes me at this moment. :)

Off the top of my head and without checking sources, I believe the Jumo 004s (for Me 262) had about 10 to 12 hours before service. Now what the He 162 and others used escapes me at this moment. :)

The 10 hr life was only for the early models, after ~10 hr the hot section (ie flame cans, and turbine) was inspected and replaced (the fuel injectors were also replaced, though at shorter intervals) Later models (004B-4, 004D) could manage 25 hrs.

The He 162 used the BMW 003A/E (003E had overrev for 115% thrust) which had a particularly well designed annular combustor (made largely of mild steel) and turbine lasting as high as 300 hr in testing. (though the turbine may have been less)

Delcyros has figures on this, and I'll see if I can find my other sourse.

Thanks Kool. As I said it was from that vast wasteland of memory. I knew of the early problems, just didn't know if they had corrected them by production.

25 hrs still not a very long time IMHO.

Again though, that's between major maintenence or overhaul (though not a true overhaul or rebuild) after 25 hrs the combustors had to be replaced and the turbine had to be inspected and replaced if necessary. With a new turbine the engine could go for up to another 25 hrs before being sent back to a Jumo factory or repair facility to overhaul the engine. (though actual overhaul may not have often occured, and new engines may just have replaced them as production was fairly high by this time)

Another thing to note is that the actual engine (save the hot section) used very little strateigic material with alot of cheap steel and some machine/higher quality steel. In fact, due to the conservative design of the compressor (albeit still an axial design) the compressor/stator blades were made of stamped steel, a chaep and efficient method. This meant that mot of the engine was almost "throwaway" or simple scrap when the engine was "used up" though some components could probably be best saved and reused. And I'd immagine any high temp metals (mostly stainless steel alloys containing 70-80% iron) would be recycled due to the scarsity of the alloying agents. (most importantly nickel and chromium)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back