What was the best Flying boat in WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i need to see more data baout sunderland and h8k emily . how many enemies they destryed , how many were in actin in 1945 , for example .

luiz camacho ( city : belem . state : para . country : brazil ) .

The h8k2 has impressive stats but these were often accomplished with reduced capability in other areas like armor. It was a pretty good looker for a flying boat.

By far, the one with the biggest impact to the war was the PBY.

Posting here from maybe a point of ignorance, but why thew PBY rather than the Sunderland ? The flying porcupine did, after all, help prevent the fall of Britain through its exploits in the Atlantic war which would have been game over for the allies.

I think for historical aspect and its contribution to the war I have to go with either the PBY or the Sunderland, but if I were to go based off of all around capability and performance I would go with the Do 24.

Last edited:
the PBY or the Catalina, .

Is that anything like the "Ju-87 or the Stuka."

:D

I've always liked the Emily...

5 x 20 mm cannons for defense.

Attachments

• Kawanishi_H8K_Emily_take_off.png
    Kawanishi_H8K_Emily_take_off.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 167
I think for historical aspect and its contribution to the war I have to go with either the PBY or the Catalina, but if I were to go based off of all around capability and performance I would go with the Do 24.

I saw a Do 24 fly overhead one day, a beautiful, graceful aircraft. However, it barely holds up to the PBY (it is faster, but otherwise falls short in range and load), and nowhere near the capablility of the H8K2.

I saw a Do 24 fly overhead one day, a beautiful, graceful aircraft. However, it barely holds up to the PBY (it is faster, but otherwise falls short in range and load), .

Where do you come up with that?

Dornier Do 24

Weights:
Empty: 13,500kg (29,700 lbs.)
Loaded: 18,400kg (40,565 lbs.)
Click on image for slightly larger version
Performance:
Maximum Speed: 211 mph (340 kph) at 9,840 ft. (3000m)
Cruise Speed: 183 mph (295 kph)
Range: 2,950 miles (4750km)
Service Ceiling: 19,360 ft. (5900m)
Armament:
One 7.92mm MG 15 machine gun in bow turret, one MG 15 in tail turret and one 20mm MG 151/20 or 30mm MK 103 cannon in dorsal turret behind wing.

Bomb Load:
Underwing racks for twelve 110lb. (50kg) bombs or other stores. (

PBY-5A

Weights:
Empty wt: 20,910 lb (9,485 kg)
Max takeoff wt: 35,420 lb (16,066 kg)

Performance:
Maximum speed: 196 mph (314 km/h)
Cruise speed: 125 mph (201 km/h)
Range: 2,520 mi (4,030 km)
Service ceiling: 15,800 ft (4,000 m)
Rate of climb: 1,000 ft/min (5.1 m/s)
Wing loading: 25.3 lb/ft² (123.6 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 0.034 hp/lb (0.056 kW/kg)
Lift-to-drag ratio: 11.9

Armament
3× .30 cal (7.62 mm) machine guns (two in nose turret, one in ventral hatch at tail)
2× .50 cal (12.7 mm) machine guns (one in each waist blister)
4,000 lb (1,814 kg) of bombs or depth charges, torpedo racks were also available

The only area that the Cat beats out the Do 24 is in armament and bomb load. The Do 24 has a faster speed, farther range and a higher ceiling. I believe the Cat has a slightly higher payload (as in cargo, not armament).

Don't sell the Do 24 short, overall I think it was a much more capable aircraft.

The PBY (Catalina) played a major role in both the ETO and PTO during the whole war. Scouting, bombing, torpedos, life saving, anti sub. I don't say it was the best of it's type but it was omnipresent, versatile and a workhorse. I don't understand about Sunderland and saving Britain? How?

The PBY (Catalina) played a major role in both the ETO and PTO during the whole war. Scouting, bombing, torpedos, life saving, anti sub. I don't say it was the best of it's type but it was omnipresent, versatile and a workhorse.

I agree, and that is what I said in my original post. I said that for historical aspect and for its contribution to the war I would have to go with the Cat. But overall capability and performance (all things considered), I take the Do 24. Fact of the matter is the Do 24 does hold up rather nicely to the Cat...

renrich said:
I don't understand about Sunderland and saving Britain? How?

I don't know? I never said it did.

Didn't Air Marshall Balbo or someone fly to NY in a formation of these wee beasties ? :?: (the Savoia-Marchetti Sm.55 I mean)

Comments on a post card please

ah yes i saw them in a documantary once, although i didn't think they were used in military service??

Did you ever see the Super Stranraer ? Beautiful in its very own way

Supermarine_Stranraer_2_ExCC.jpg

Thats cheek, the Walrus is one of the most foul looking planes ever to hobble in to the skies :lol:

GRUMMAN DUCK

Don't forget the Grumman Duck which was used throught Dubya-Dubya 2 and seemed to have been a handy little plane -

Grumman-Duck-taking-off.jpg

The PBY (Catalina) played a major role in both the ETO and PTO during the whole war. Scouting, bombing, torpedos, life saving, anti sub. I don't say it was the best of it's type but it was omnipresent, versatile and a workhorse. I don't understand about Sunderland and saving Britain? How?

And the Trusty Kingfisher - which was a also very useful for spotting and liaison

I think we maybe also need to define 'Best' flying boat / floatplane ? What do we mean by 'best' - 'aggression' versus perhaps 'usefulness' or 'reliability' ??

Os2u_planes_in_echelon_formation_1943.jpg

Last edited:
Chris, my question about Sunderland saving Britain was referring to another post further back in the thread, which post was somewhat disjointed. Not one of yours.

I came across this site on the Do24 which may be of interest. Loads of information and a good number of photo's
Dornier Do-24 Homepage

In Aeroplane Monthly June 2006 there is an article about "The White Samaritans" who were Luftwaffer flying boat crews who were allowed to keep flying AFTER the German Surrender

They operated All-White Do 24s without guns (obviously) and without markings.

Mostly out of Norwegian waters

Chris, my question about Sunderland saving Britain was referring to another post further back in the thread, which post was somewhat disjointed. Not one of yours.

I think that the Sunderland probably Helped to save Britain through it's Transport and Anti-Submarine activities during some rather touch and go early years of the war 40-42.

BTW some Sunderlands were built and operated Inland next to and on Lake Windermere - see below

Flying Boats and Fellow Travellers

Note: It seems to me that flying boats were employed in pretty much every capacity due to their range and ability to land on water - obviously - without necessarily being the optimum aircraft for any one role.

For example, I do not suppose that the Sunderland was the best aircraft as a bomber or to dogfight with Ju88s - but it did !

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was me (at the top of this page) that said that it helped to save Britain during the Atlantic war. What is disjointed about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back