What's for dinner?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Was at a metal concert last night. Dinner for me last night?

7 Sliders from White Castle.

Seemed like such a great idea last night. Not so much this morning...

Stole a recipe from a TV show called "Cooks Country" called Huli Huli Chicken. Made famous by some Polynesian Resaurant in the 50's if I rememeber correctly. Soaked the chicken in a combo of water, soy sauce, a boat load of garlic and fresh ginger and soaked for 6 hours. Threw it on the grill. Slathered with homemade Teriyaki type sauce and served with fresh from the field Sweet Corn and some Bread Butter pickles I picked up at the local Farmers Market.
Down side is I still smell like garlic this morning.

Last edited:
A bit behind here...

Sunday Dinner, went out for Thai. Had a chicken and mushroom lemon grass soup, and Thai Chicken served in a red curry 3 flavor sauce served with rice, brocolli, carrots and cabbage.

Monday: Grilled burgers stuffed with Gorgonzola Cheese. Topped with swiss cheese, sauteed mushrooms, caramalized onions and mayo on an onion bun.

Tonight: Wiener Schnitzel and Bratkartoffeln (fried potatoes).

Had burgers yesterday with melted swiss on 'em washed down with a few Negra Modelos.

Tonight, cheese ravioli, garlic bread with salad. I think she got a chocolate cheesecake at the store today, I saw something going on in there but got chased out of the kitchen :lol:

Ahh, and the beer for tonight will be several Pilsner Urquells :thumleft:

Pepperoni pasta and a glug or two of wine last night.

Cornish Pasty, a few veg and more wine tonight. Maybe some hot roasted chestnuts later…………………………………………………..Who am I kidding, I'll definitely be having the chestnuts later.

That really sounds pretty good. How did it come out?

It came out pretty good. The Soy Sauce marinade made an awesome color on the skin when it grilled. I think next time I do this it will be in the smoker though. Skin got a bit dark by the time the chicken got up to temp. Not really burned, but it was pretty dark. The basting sauce smelled awesome as I reduced it in the kitchen. Another reason to put this is the smoker, basting it longer at a lower temp for a little longer time.

I'll have to try the soy-sauce marinade next time.

When I BBQ my chicken, I'll marinade the boneless breasts in teriyake sauce seasoned with garlic for about an hour prior to setting them on the grill.

Once on the grill (my bigass Weber), I turn them about every 5 minutes or so, lightly rubbing a seasoned BBQ sauce mixture on the tops before putting the lid back on (bottom vent wide open, top vent open about 25%, moderate heat) and do this for about 30+ minutes.

Dang...here I am having my morning coffee and craving BBQ chicken! :lol:

I'll have to try the soy-sauce marinade next time.

When I BBQ my chicken, I'll marinade the boneless breasts in teriyake sauce seasoned with garlic for about an hour prior to setting them on the grill.

Once on the grill (my bigass Weber), I turn them about every 5 minutes or so, lightly rubbing a seasoned BBQ sauce mixture on the tops before putting the lid back on (bottom vent wide open, top vent open about 25%, moderate heat) and do this for about 30+ minutes.

Dang...here I am having my morning coffee and craving BBQ chicken! :lol:

Here's the Cook's country recipe if you want to give it a try.

Hawaiian Huli Huli Chickenfrom Cook's Illustrated Summer Grilling 2011

Marinade:
2 quarts water
2 cups soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil plus extra for cooking grate
6 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
4 split chicken halves

Glaze
3 6-ounce cans pineapple juice
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
4 medium garlic cloves, pressed
2 teaspoons Siracha

2 cups wood chips, soaked in water for 15 minutes and sealed in a foil packet
For the chicken, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds). Combine the water and soy sauce in a zip top bag. Add the cooked aromatics and swish to combine. Add chicken and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to 8 hours.
To make the glaze, combine all the glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. With heat at medium, simmer glaze until thick and syrupy, 20-25 minutes.
Build a single-level fire on the grill. Place the foil packet directly on the coals. When coals are medium-hot, grill is ready. Clean grate.
Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Lay the chicken on the grill skin side up, but not right on top of the foil packet. Grill 20-25 minutes, until skin is nicely browned. Flip chicken and continue to grill, covered, another 20-25 more until internal temperature reaches 170-175.
Transfer the chicken to a plate, brush liberally with glaze and cover for 5 minutes. Serve the chicken with the remaining glaze on the side.

I added a third tablespoon of Siracha sauce and it still didn't seem spicy at all, next time may add more. But it sure did smell good when it was reducing on the oven. Also took much longer to reduce than the recipe states. I also built a two zone fire on the grill, one with coal, and the other no coals. Did not want the chicken directly over the coals. Also threw a couple chunks of Cherry wood on the coal for a little smoke. Did not have any Mesquite on hand. Gotta be carefull with Mesquite though, too much gives an off taste IMO.

Last edited:
As an afterthought I thought I'd add that I do not like thier method of using soaked wood chips in a foil packate. Gives off too much, as the BBQ purists call it "dirty white smoke". I generally just throw a well seasoned/dry chunk of wood on the fire and let it burn.

And remember when you are sauteing that garlic and ginger it's going to make the whole house smell of sauteed garlic and giniger for the rest of the day;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back