What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nice tools! though I think it'd only work on a full scale model

I've applied primer to the 737. I just gotta figure out how to properly paint the wings. I gotta find some flat aluminum

I've been away from the hobby (and this board) for about six months due to various work commitments and a series of relocations, but I'm getting back into the saddle now with an Airfix 1/72 Mirage IIIEA and Airfix 1/400 HNoMS St Albans (Town Class destroyer, Mirage Hobby re-issue I believe) in progress. I'll get some pics up when they're both a little more advanced 8)

Cheers mate 8) I'm trying to make my small stash last a bit, I unfortunately found out I am being made redundant on Monday... the day after I moved into a new flat, so I wont be buying any kits for a while. Nevertheless, I have a few to keep me going, so hopefully I can keep modelling until I start getting paid again

Bloody hell mate, I'm really sorry to hear that.

I've been living with that threat for a while now myself, every day could be my last. Things have just started to look a little more positive in the last week or so though, so fingers crossed...

I've applied the Southwest Desert Gold to the fuselage and engine nacelles. since it's gloss, I'm gonna wait quite a while for it to dry and cure

and were matchbox kits always different colours for each sprue ????

They sure were, the kits were originally aimed at the kids pocket money market and they had different coloured plastics so they kind of looked ok without paint.
I built most of the range as a kid and remember them with fondness, most the kits fit together very well but they are largely ignored by the serious modeller except possibly for the unique kits they manufactured.
Some kits had panel lines totally out of scale for the kit and are referred to as trenches, so Airfix had golfball sized rivets and Matchbox the trenches.

There is a site dedicated to all the old Matchbox kits here for those interested in them - The unofficial reference to vintage Matchbox kits

Mike

As a kid me, my dad and my grandfather got through a fair few Matchbox kits - a 1/72 Gladiator, 1/72 Walrus, 1/72 Canberra, 1/48 Seasprite, 1/32 Dauntless and 1/32 Sea Venom all spring to mind. I have a re-issue of the Sea Venom in the stash, along with a half-built original issue of the 1/76 (?) Wespe SPG which I intend to finish off in the near future. The Wespe includes a desert diorama base and palm tree, very cool but utterly useless as the bits that I have painted many moons ago are in Eastern front colours!

Users who are viewing this thread