What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nav lights (red and green), and strobe lights (silver), painted on the wings. I've also done the gear bays light gray, the APU tailcone chrome silver, and I'm working on the engine intakes, right now. Found a nice vid of a Delta 757 taking off from inside, and the person zoomed in on the intake walls. Delta 757s use the same Pratt Whitney powered 757s that TWA used. Some Delta 757s are ex-TWA.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my8y4eo_pPI

The zoom-in is about 6:14

Attachments

• image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a bunch of them off of ebay. One was from the Airfix Buffalo and jeep kit. The others I think were Hobby Master kits. I really don't know because they were already built but not painted. Guy had about a dozen or so for 10.00. Considering the kit costs almost that much for one, it was worth the price. Some of them were broken but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Started this model several years ago wanting to finish it as James "Stocky" Edwards aircraft. My first attempt at making my own decals. The red was eye-balled before I learned what the RGB on paint4models.com was for. Also notice that my QJ was a tad skinny. Gonna rip them suckers off with scotch tape, wash it, and finally finish it.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Finished up the engines. Pratt Whitney PW2037s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 74
Started decaling a few nights ago. Got the corrogard panels on the wings a couple nights ago. Plus the cockpit windows on the fuse. Wings were done last night. The only thing left on them are the "no step" signs located all around the dorsal side. The horizontal stabilizers are finished, this pic was taken before I finished them, of course. Lol. The natural metal leading edges were an absolute nightmare. But after a few moments of panic, as parts were so softened they wrinkled, I managed to smooth them out so they'd look decent. And I got a POV wing view just for fun :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 61
Got QUITE a bit further on the 757 since I last posted here, fellas. been so focused on getting the decals positioned right that I forgot to show off a bit.

here's the left side, which looks infinitely better than the right. I'm replacing the kit cabin windows with ones from Flying Colors detail decals. You can see on one of the windows that the shade is half drawn. Flying Colors decals added an extra feature in their detail decals by putting various drawn shade windows in. really cool idea
HPIM2596.JPG

According to various photos, and a real TWA 757 safety card I saw on Ebay, TWA 757s did not have emergency exits over the wings. they had all of 4 exits on either side of the cabin. all forward or behind the wings. so I'm CAREFULLY scraping off the exit way decals on the wings
HPIM2597.JPG

HPIM2598.JPG

Going back in time, I had an accident which caused a big rip in the corrogard panel of the right wing. didn't have time to think of a way to fix it, so I went to work, throughout the day, I started to accept the fact that it may be unfixable, till later, I had a stroke of genius...I'd take some corrogard from underneath the wing and put it on top (the underside won't be seen, anyways) and now (in the previous pic where im scraping off the exit way decal) you can barely tell there was an accident :D
249983_10151588423889045_1703384049_n.jpg

coming back forward in time the nose just looks like s*** because it flaked in some places, and there's no way of fixing it. unless I have the manufacturer send me a replacement set. asked them for it last night, and Im waiting on a reply.
HPIM2599.JPG

and looking at the right side *shudders* it looks just...horrible. unless I get some replacement decals from Minicraft, it'll stay like that. and I probably used way too much decal solution or solvent....and it faded the paint in some spots. nothing unfixable, but I dang near lost my mind when I saw that @_@
HPIM2602.JPG

HPIM2601.JPG

HPIM2600.JPG

Attachments

• HPIM2596.JPG
    HPIM2596.JPG
    391.8 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back