What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On which aeroplane, old chap? Don't tell me, it's one of the Canberras, or the Hunter, where one should have laid-in the undercart doors first, apllied the decals, cut them, then fitted the old legs and doors later!?

Sorry old chap, bit late replying. The easiest way is to paint the doors whilst on the sprue, then remove, fit into the wells, and hold them in place (inside) with a small ball of Blue Tac or Plasticine. Apply the decals, let them set, the apply the clear coat. Once dry, carefully cut through the joints (around the doors) with a SHARP scalpel. Remove the doors, ready for placement later. You might get a small bit of 'chipping' on the edges of the decals, but this can be touched-in later.
It's a pain, but it works ok - but I'd love to get hold of the p***k who thought up the wondeful idea of positioning the serial numbers in such a stupid place! I bet the painters of the real aircraft had an even bigger problem, unless they put the kite on jacks, with the gear retracted.

Decided to make a 'fresh start' with modelmaking - started a Revell 1:72 Fokker Dr.I for Ivett (my fianceé).
Cockpit interior painted and washed, will be built pretty much OOB just to get something finished for once!!

Blimey, I wouldn't even be able to hold a 1/72nd scale triplane, never mind build or paint it! it's funny, years ago, when i used to do mainly 1/72nd scale, I thought that 1/48th were big, and 1/32nd were huge, and that's just the fighter-sized kits. Now, I think 1/72nd are tiny! Must be an (old) age thing!

Well guys this may possibly be the first ever total novice build on the site (well it is for me anyway) I have collected some bits together that the books and stuff you guys kindly provided have said I may need. I was going to have a bash at the Tamiya 1:35 Willys Jeep but while at Duxford I found a Tamiya 1:35 Bren carrier for six quid which i thought was cheap and not too complicated for a plonker like me.
So that will be my first ever build
To answer the thread question then, whats on you workbench, see picture below.
wish me luck I'll need it
Lee aka Glue Boy

Attachments

• DSC_0751.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 80
Nice assecories for the build Track. We all started with our first model sometime, soon you'll be zooming through kits and finding ways to even spend more time on each kit. A journey has begun! (But a ground vehicle? Kidding!)

That's a nice kit, Lee! Made it myself about 20 years ago (before I started world travelling). Went together without a hitch as far as I remember.

Terry, the size of the DR.I is EXACTLY the reason I chose it now! I always lose myself in the detailing and never finish anything (I'm a perfectionist..). This kit is small, and is beautifuly detailed, with just a couple of very minor modifications required - perfect for the task of 'confidence builder'!

Users who are viewing this thread