Which is better: P-47 or Fw-190?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

will agree the Chino air Museum is a hoot. filthy dirty and almost in the middle of cow poop yards (recommend nose clips in the summer....)but still worth going when they have warbirds on parade and veterans gatherings.

The smell isnt so bad anymore. Lots of development going up in the old cow pastures.

By the way, the people with the best view of the airshow have to be the inmates in the state prison across the street from the airport. They are directly under the main runway!

If people want, I can post more pictures of the airshow.

do it please. I only hae some 5x7's and 8x10's of the Recon 262 they brought out some years ago in October with friend hans Busch present, were you there for that great tribute ?

I used to fly into Chino all thi time, always had some great stuff around there. If the weather was good 2 or 3 of us would fly over and walk the ramp, the museum folks always had something going on.

I'm hoping next summer to fly to Oshkosh and camp out.

Ok, here are two more. Two of the P47's in flight, and another (teaser) for you of a pair of Zero's taking off while a TBF and Wildcat warm up.

I think the P47's in the "vee" formation look nasty enough to scare the daylights out of the German troops!!!

Attachments

• p47_s_in_flight__3_910.jpg
    p47_s_in_flight__3_910.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 473
  • zero_s_takeoff_578.jpg
    zero_s_takeoff_578.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 480
  • p47_in_flight__4_266.jpg
    p47_in_flight__4_266.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 476
Soren Quote:

P-47D-25-RE :
Initial climb rate: 2780 ft/min at sea-level, 1575 ft/min at 30,000ft.

P-47D-35-RA:
Max initial climb: 3120 ft/min.

You want to know the rate at 30K ?
Well why the hell post a statistic that shows 2 climb rates, and the second one only shows one.... EIther u forgot it or ur left it out on purpose... Why bother showing the comparison of the 25-RE if u cant compare the data???

lesofprimus said:
Soren Quote:

P-47D-25-RE :
Initial climb rate: 2780 ft/min at sea-level, 1575 ft/min at 30,000ft.

P-47D-35-RA:
Max initial climb: 3120 ft/min.

You want to know the rate at 30K ?
Well why the hell post a statistic that shows 2 climb rates, and the second one only shows one.... EIther u forgot it or ur left it out on purpose... Why bother showing the comparison of the 25-RE if u cant compare the data???

Oh, you ment the 30,000ft performance for the D-35-RA...

Well it only shows the max initial climb rate for that one(3120 ft/min), and unfortunately no alt is given. However as one can see, it is close to 400fpm more than the max climb rate of the D-25-RE.

Btw; why would I leave it out on purpose ? That would just be plain stupid !

Maybe some *incriminating* evidence not wanting to divulge??? Who knows. Im still not 100% with u yet, so.....

Im kinda surprised at u actually, cause ur statistical info is usually complete and precise, and this one wasnt, hence all the ????'s surrounding it...

I have one pix of the P47 in the 2004 show, plus as a bonus for you Brits, a hurricane.

I have more pix to share, but i suppose i will need to open a whole new topic.

BTW, my 2 cents worth..... the P47 would defeat the FW190 everytime if it had room to dive. And the solid construction of the plane would mean the Fw190 pilot would have to make every shot count as he wouldnt have it in his sights for long.

Attachments

• hurrican_taxi_2004_187.jpg
    hurrican_taxi_2004_187.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 356
  • p47_taxi_2004_797.jpg
    p47_taxi_2004_797.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 354
lesofprimus said:
Maybe some *incriminating* evidence not wanting to divulge???

Primus, I gave the "max" climb rate numbers, so why would I leave out any alt stats ? That would be meaningless...

Who knows. Im still not 100% with u yet, so.....

Oh, I see.. And why is that ? (Send me a PM if you want)

I'm kinda surprised at u actually, cause ur statistical info is usually complete and precise, and this one wasn't, hence all the ????'s surrounding it...

Your "?????'s" :?: I haven't really seen any others ;)

Soren, you wrote, " I still wonder how they could even hope to let us to believe the -47 would climb at 4900 ft/min ! That's an insane number for such a heavy a/c ! "

I submitted the 504mph XP-47J's climb rate as 4,900fpm. I have no reason to believe that it could not deliver on that number. I did not asert the "M" model's climb rate as 4,900fpm. I do suspect that it was probably close to 4,000fpm though. (A frankly speculative guess)

With respect to the numbers you quoted from your source, I'm still interested in knowing:

Why it would be reasonbable to accept the "N" model's initial climb rate as equal to the pre-paddle blade "D" model level.

AND

Why it would be reasonable to accept the "M" model's climb rate as only a few hundred fpm higher than the post paddle bladed "D" model when the top speed rocketed from 429mph for the "D" to over 470 mph for the "M".

Keep in mind that the 500mph XP-47J 's climb rate in combat configuration was 1,700fpm higher than the post paddle bladed "D" model.

Concerning the XP-47J

Weights were 9663 pounds empty, 12,400 pounds normal loaded, 16,780 pounds maximum.

syscom3 said:
I

BTW, my 2 cents worth..... the P47 would defeat the FW190 everytime if it had room to dive. And the solid construction of the plane would mean the Fw190 pilot would have to make every shot count as he wouldnt have it in his sights for long.

No, it would "escape" almost everytime it had room to dive. There's a difference ;)

The P-47's only advantage over the Fw-190 was its diving characteristics, nothing else. (Except later -47's were faster ofcourse)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back