World War 2 in your backyard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In my high school days I spent a summer with a buddy of mine as a steam fitters helper at Penhold when it was NATO
training base. Many Harvards buzzing around along with Expediters, Chipmunks and Mentors.,

Last edited:
This is one of the little bunkers on our island. Because of the climate change, we get more flooding and extreme weather than 20 years ago. Also the water level is slightly rising. Scary enough when you know you live 3 meters below sea level. So we set out to strengthen en enlarging the dykes. This little bunker was almost a victim of that. Until recently, it stood high and proud next to the dyke, now it is incorporated into the base of that same dyke. Being sunken now, I guess it is impossible to enter it, but I'm glad they didn't just demolish it, but left it as it is.

20170520_1780.jpg

Great news: the bunkers on the island are now 'Dutch Heritage' and are from now on protected.

Yesterday I visited one of those close by my house and entered it. These bunkers BTW are actually Dutch 'kazematten' of the piramide type. They are shelter for 12 men and were meant to protect against artillery.

You can see that this bunker is built in April 1940 like all bunkers on the island of Dordrecht. This one is nicely hidden under plants and is being maintained by the owner. The only problem is that I am too long. so I had a lot of cobwebs in my hair when I left :lol:

Looking to the entrance. On the left the shooting hole they can cover the entrance form there.
20170909_0002.jpg

20170909_0006.jpg
20170909_0008.jpg
20170909_0010.jpg

Were there a lot of those bunkers on the island Marcel?
Yup, all build at the last minute, March/April 1940. This was the southern part of the New Dutch Waterline, the second line of defense. It was never finished, but Dordrecht is literally littered with these group shelters.
\A nice view is here, near the bridge, you see a whole line of bunkers in the back. This goes on along the whole dyke, about 10 km or so, although further on they are further apart.:
img_1477-jpg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back