World War 2 in your backyard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spinpachi my son is over in your neck of the woods in Misawa crew chief with the F-16 squadron.He says once a year is completed and some language learned he plans to travel for two weeks and see some of the old castles any recommendations I am sure he would appreciate.By the way he says he loves it over there.;)

Himeji Castle would be the best as it keeps original state for hundreds years :thumbleft:

Okay, was at the Moerdijk Bridge again after reading up on the history of the site. The following 3 pictures are of the bunker "Willemsdorp II". One of the bigger river bunkers. It was build by the Dutch just before the war. It was fitted with an anti-tank canon (5 cm) and a heavy machine-gun (M.08). It was occupied by a Military Police unit under Sergeant Major van Almkerk. Early on May the 10th, they surrendered after a heavy fight, when one of the steel doors was blown up and resistance became futile. The German troops allowed the Sergeant Major to keep his klewang (saber) out of respect for his brave fight.
Later in the war it was changed into a German FLAK bunker.

20170506_1703.jpg
20170506_1704.jpg
20170506_1705.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff Marcel.
Karl and I are hoping to visit the coastal flak post up on the Ems, and probably the WW2 museum in Oostwold when we come over, and if time allows, maybe a couple of other places too - and, of course, the Arnhem / Ooserbeek visit. Got to get a photo on the John Frost bridge !
And only four weeks to go 'til we're there !

Great stuff Marcel.
Karl and I are hoping to visit the coastal flak post up on the Ems, and probably the WW2 museum in Oostwold when we come over, and if time allows, maybe a couple of other places too - and, of course, the Arnhem / Ooserbeek visit. Got to get a photo on the John Frost bridge !
And only four weeks to go 'til we're there !
Yeah, looking forward to it. It's not that far away.
Is there a museum in Oostwold? Didn't know that.

Last edited:
Marcel. I found the museum when looking at Oostwold on the Traces of War website (www.tracesof war.com).
On the page showing Oostwold war memorial, at bottom right, is a list of other sites, showing the flak battery and museum, and some others.
The museum appears to be a room on the side of a private house.

Ah, I found it, it's in Midwolda, the next village. Digitale Dorp Midwolda - Historie - Museum voor Oorlogshistorie 1940-1945. Didn't know it existed. Looks rather small though.

What you also could do is going to Westerborg. It was a concentration camp, where people where gathered to be send to the German camps like Auswitsch. It is a sobering place. Part of it is now a site for the biggest radio telescope in Europe and part of the camp is still there together with a museum. Highly recommended. I believe it's around 50 km from where you were staying, about 30 minutes by car.

http://www.kampwesterbork.nl/en/index.html#/index

The FLAK bunkers are interesting, but you're not allowed to go in.

Last edited:
Thanks Marcel.
Looking at the flak site on Google Earth, I couldn't see any 'public' entrance, which is a pity. I would have liked to try to get to the gun positions above the Ems estuary, although looking at the satellite view, even if it is open to the public, and again I couldn't see any entrance, I'd have difficulty negotiating the terrain.
Do you know if there's a public viewing area at the RNAF base at Leeuwarden ?
That could be an interesting visit, if photography is allowed - I wouldn't want to spend the holiday 'banged up' in a Military jail !!
And sorry, I forgot to mention that the small museum is in the next village. Looks very small, but could be interesting - looks like it's open on request, so might be worth a try.
I'll have a look at the maps, and Google, and see if there are any other interesting sites - I'm a bit sensitive about former concentration camp sites, and still remember the eerie, 'dead' feeling at Belsen, which made a lasting impression when I visited in 1973.

Look forward to that Andy.
I'm hoping to visit a few former RAF and USAAF airfields during the summer, and get a few shots. Not that much left in my immediate area these days, as they've all been built on, but I'll be passing some elsewhere during my travels.

Pressure is on now. I took some pics last year at a 75th anniversary celebrations at RAF DeWinton but I screwed up the white balance. I'll see if I can cobble something together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back