World War 2 in your backyard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those are certainly impressive structures, Marcel - and great photos, too!

And Shinpachi, while we're on the subject, I am curious about any of the old defensive places that may remain in Japan. I know that some of the launch ramps remain, intended for the MXY7 and I recall a television documentary exploring a submarine pen where the suicide submarines were stationed but they don't seem to be in any great numbers.

Have you ever visited any of these sites?

Marcel, those pics you posted in #116 remind me of the fortifications at Fort Eben Emael in East Belgium. Have you ever been there? Fantastic place to visit if you get the chance.

When I was in Europe, I was on a tight schedule, but I passed through alot of areas, especially in Italy, that saw a great deal of fighting.

When I was in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, I didn't have time to visit the museum there, but it's at the former joint Luftwaffe and Royal Bulgarian Airforce base where they had fighter/bomber operations and a large training facility. At that museum is one of the few remaining Ar196 aircraft in the world, too.

Next time I'm over there, however, I intend to visit the museum in Sofia, Plovdiv and then take a trip south to see the buried Panzers along the Greek/Bulgarian border - most of which have been removed and are in a secured area for safe-keeping.

Okay, went to Kornwerderzand last week. Spent the whole day there with the chaps from the Fokker G-1 foundation. Had a great day. There is so much to tell about Kornwerderzand.
Kornwerderzand is an area with many "Kazematten" or bunkers at the eastern side of the Afsluitdijk. Tha afsluidijk is a 32 km long dam, separating the Ijselmeer (former Zuiderzee) fro the Waddenzee. It turned the saltwater Zuiderzee into fresh water. The dam was build in 1932. Amsterdam was not happy with it. It provided a backdoor in their defense and if someone would get hold of the waterdoors in the dam, they can drown the whole of the Netherlands in a matter of weeks. by closing them. Obvious a strategic point. Fortunately the dam is relatively narrow, so easily defended. The Dutch created their most modern fortification at the eastern side of the dam. This is Kornwerderzand. It consist of many bunkers, occupied by arouond 300 men. Unfortunately there was no artillery installed when the Germans attacked in 1940, so there were only machineguns. Also AA was not installed, but this was remedied during the first night. They ultimately kept the 15000 men of the german 1st cavalry division from crossing the dam and had to surrender separately 2 days after the general surrender.
Later Kornwerderzand became part of the German Atlantic wall.
The site consists mainly of Dutch kazematten and some German bunkers.

The middle of the Afsluitdijk, om my way to Kornwerderzand
20160917_0005.jpg

The waterdoors in the Afsluitdijk as seen from Kornwerderzand
20160917_0026.jpg

Dutch flag flying again over Kornwerderzand
20160917_0033.jpg

The commandbunker "Kazemat IV" where kapiteit (captain) Boers led the defense.
20160917_0036.jpg

Kapitein Boer's bed inside the commandbunker
20160917_0041.jpg

Original German gun in one of the German bunkers. This gun was thrown into the lake, but recovered in the '80ies and placed on it;s original position.
20160917_0049.jpg

There was a small line in fornt of the Afsluitdijk called the "Wonsstelling". This weak line had no bunkers or so, only small ditches and wooden positions. It was overrun in 3 hours. Dutch soldiers fled and threw their weapons in the canals. They are still found sometimes.
20160917_0056.jpg

Attachments

• 20160917_0046.jpg
    20160917_0046.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 34
Part 2 of Kornwerderzand

German "Tobruk" or machinegun position.
20160917_0057.jpg

Dutch gunport in a Kazemat.
20160917_0058.jpg

German bunker with the original gun from the outside
20160917_0059.jpg
20160917_0060.jpg

Another Dutch Kazemat
20160917_0065.jpg

The only 2-story Kazemat. It had 2 small guns. There is a large underground part as well. In the front you see the tail unit of a Hudson that was shot down by the Germans from Kornwerderzand. It crashed close by in the lake.
20160917_0067.jpg

20160917_0070.jpg

An example of the dirt fortifications in the Wonsstelling. The crew had not much confidence in the whole structure as they gave it the name "De Wanhoop" which means "the Desperation"
20160917_0081.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back