World War 2 in your backyard (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Following a little research and contact from the 401st Bomb Group historical chaps I've found out that where my house in Upper Benefield isbuilt on part of the 614th Bomb Squadron living quarters.

It were Fokker T-8W floatplanes. I was always under the impression that 320th was Navy, especially since they were the navy squadron flying Orions here in the Netherlands. I know they first flew in Coastal command with Hudsons, but when they switched to Mitchels, they were used as a tactical bomber unit in the TAF.

Edit: my 11 year old son tells me that coastal command also belongs to the RAF and 320th has been RAF all along, but for the Dutch they were "Marine luchtvaart dienst" (naval air service), so for the Dutch they were navy but for the British they were airforce. Very confusing, I am glad I have son who can explain that to his old dad :D

I think it great to have a son that young who is interested in history. More interesting info on a part of the war that is overshadowed.

Geo

I think it great to have a son that young who is interested in history. More interesting info on a part of the war that is overshadowed.

Geo
Yes, and he is very interested. Of course specially in the Dutch part of the war :D . He's now making a study of the ABDA fleet and the battle in the Java sea. He is searching the internet for info as a hobby in stead of playing games.

Great stuff Marcel. It's good to know that at least some youngsters have wider interests. My youngest daughter was the same, with a great interest in history, and aviation in particular. I don't know where she gets it from ...........

Great stuff Marcel. It's good to know that at least some youngsters have wider interests. My youngest daughter was the same, with a great interest in history, and aviation in particular. I don't know where she gets it from ...........
Ehm.... Wait,wait, don't tell me.......ehm.....the neighbour?

I was in the city of Arnhem last Thursday. Of course you all know this city for the heroic climax of Market Garden. Although it was really poring with rain, I could not resist taking some pictures. No brilliant ones, I assure you, just some snapshots and then running back inside :) So sorry I didn't make a more thorough job, I will do that next time I visit this city, okay ;)

The first one is an interesting one for sure. Taken nicely dry inside, these books are from the library. Only a few years ago, the Library moved to a new building, when packing the archive, they found these books. You can clearly see the damage done by bullets on these books. It appears that these books were present during the battle in Arnhem and that nobody has read or seen them ever since until the moving. They are a remarkable proof of the fierce fighting back then.
water_20151023_0232.jpg

Two pictures of the John Frost bridge. This was the bridge too far. It's been renewed after the war, the original being bombed by the Allies. Frost sat with his troops on the left side of the first picture. The second photo is from an area held by British paras. You can see the river is not very wide here.
water_20151023_0238.jpg
water_20151023_0241.jpg

Lastly het Duivelshuis (Devil's house) a couple of hundred meters from the bridge. Here British POW's were held by the Germans. It's a very old building, but the latest scars are bullet holes in the facade.
water_20151023_0244.jpg

Last edited:
Another photo for my bunker fetish :)
Build in 1936, this bunker protected the northern part of the train bridge at Moerdijk. As we know it ultimately failed in it's task. But on the bright side, it's still there, somewhere hidden.
26122480901_6b7bc6862b_b.jpg

And here a view to the south over the bridge. The bunker was to my right side when I took this picture. On the right, you see the modern higspeed bridge.
26162862006_c7b719fe54_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back