World War 2 in your backyard (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. There is something about old bunkers that I find irrisistable. I'm sure I will be posting more pics here in the future.

after saying i would post some i have finally got around to getting some pictures.

these pillboxes guard the road from Seaton Carew / Hartlepool on the north east coast of England.
the road leads to what used to be ICI Billingham (Billingham is the town where i live)

the area where the pillboxes are is now very industrial on one side of the road and a wildlife reserve on the other, mainly for wet land birds, though seals also live in the river.

bunker 1.jpg
bunker 3.jpg
bunker 4.jpg
bunker 5.jpg
bunker 6.jpg
bunker2.jpg

Good stuff Karl.
As far as I know, the larger of those bunkers was part of the anti-aircraft control system defending the ICI chemical works, a prime target for the Luftwaffe more or less throughout the war.

Good stuff Karl.
As far as I know, the larger of those bunkers was part of the anti-aircraft control system defending the ICI chemical works, a prime target for the Luftwaffe more or less throughout the war.
Could well be mate.

My Dornier came in from this direction and hit a barrage balloon at haverton hill and crashed in south bank

Marcel, most of these type of defences, along with the coastal defences, were built at the outbreak of war, although I think some at major industrial sites, may have been erected earlier.

Good stuff Karl.
In that book on the Luftwaffe losses over the NE, the structure in pics 4 and 5 in your post are described as part of the control bunker for the local anti-aircraft defences. The others, as stated in the PDF, are of course infantry fire positions.

Willemstad, located about 20 km from my home, has been a 'vestingstad', a fortified village for many centuries. Even the Germans used it for their 'Atlantic wall'. Here some of the German bunkers that you can still see.
20160827_0032.jpg
20160827_0055.jpg
20160827_0059.jpg

Great shots Marcel, an I agree with Karl, they're impressive structures. The Germans certainly didn't do thing by halves when it came to building defensive positions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back