World War 2 in your backyard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Love the history

Excellent pics and background.

Thanks guys. I don't like pictures without a story and I enjoy writing the history as much as posting pictures. It's why we're on this forum, isn't it, because of the history. This little country of mine is so full of history, history is everywhere as long as you pay attention. WW2 is still very much visible here as I try to show by spamming this thread with my photo's. And every time there is a story behind it.

Finally got a picture of at least one WW2 remnant in my corner of the world. Here is a picture of an artillery direction tower at the Montauk Lighthouse. It was used during WW2 to direct the 16" guns at nearby Camp Hero.

IMG_1381.jpg

I couldn't get inside, but I would imagine it's not in as good a shape as the outside. There was a bunker lower down on the cliff this and the lighthouse are on, but it was undermined to badly so they finished the job with fire hoses and it sits on it's side on the beach below.

I found another hidden gem. This is on the other side of the river, about an hour cycling from my house. I've often told about the strategic important Moerdijk bridges near my house. On the dyke with the Hollandsdiep is a bunker that was used to cover the Moerdijk bridge. It is actually embedded in the dyke. There are some pytramid (groupshelter) bunkers nearby. The fun thing is that after ww2, our government setup an airwarning system, consisting of about 200 special 'luchtwacht' towers. And they put one right on top of this bunker. Usually these towers are quite large, but this one is small and cute :) There are not many of these towers left and this is the only one this small and standing on a ww2 bunker.
Later at home I found out I missed a Tobruk bunker that is supposingly very close to this site. Okay a reason to go there again :)

32478866335_fda3b0f681_b.jpg

32101495140_974536bde7_b.jpg

32480160285_58107cac53_b.jpg

Last edited:
Living in the relative safety of N. America during the war, not a lot of WW 2 in my hometown backyard in Powell River B.C.. After the war, Macmillan Bloedel, a large Canadian forest company purchased WW 2 cargo ships for the purpose of forming a breakwater for the log yard. The mill is a shadow of it's former self, at one time the worlds largest with 2200 employees and the "Hulks", as they were known are long gone. Not my photos....

b.jpg

b.jpg

aerial-pulp-mill-chip-barges-hulks-breakwater-ships-westview-and-picture-id164853638?s=170667a.jpg

breakwater.gif

A short history of the ships
Concrete Ships: The Powell River Floating Breakwater

Nice pics, Gents :thumbleft:

Spinpachi my son is over in your neck of the woods in Misawa crew chief with the F-16 squadron.He says once a year is completed and some language learned he plans to travel for two weeks and see some of the old castles any recommendations I am sure he would appreciate.By the way he says he loves it over there.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back