World War 2 in your backyard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Common guys, where are your photo's? :)
Here some I uploaded a few years ago, so you might have seen them. The Grebbeberg. In the first picture you can see the traces of the original trenches, eroded away after 70 years and became shallow. The other one is reconstructed.
62777d1210366934-forgotten-battlefield-p5020096.jpg

62776d1210366934-forgotten-battlefield-p5020097.jpg

62778d1210366934-forgotten-battlefield-p5020094.jpg

62779d1210366934-forgotten-battlefield-p5020095.jpg

i think one of my nice weather hobbies would be hitting these places with a metal detector...after getting the appropriate permission of course.

I will get mine posted up here soon. Nights at the hangar is just killing my time off. In a few weeks, I go back to day schedule and I will be back on the forum as usual. That also means more posting and I can get the pics up.

Been to Hoek van Holland today with my wife. If you ever visit there, go for a walk in th dunes. It's full of Atlantik wall remains. Didn't bring my camera, so you'll have to do with some quick ones from my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 309
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 309
Great thread Marcel and I hope to see more photos from others here as well. The only thing from WW2 in my backyard(if you want to count 173miles away as back yard) is the ALCAN Highway, stretching about 1387 miles, from Dawson Creek, B.C. to Delta Junction Alaska. It was started in Mar. '42 and completed Oct. '42

Geo

The area around Calgary was home to several BCATP airfields during the war. Inforunately, much of this heritage has disappeared but there are a few remnants around. Here's an original map from that time:

BCATP High RIver training area wide.jpg

I've been thinking of doing some day trips but have not yet done so and therefore have no pics to share. However, here's an interesting link from someone who has searched out and photographed some of the old hangars and monuments.

A Tour of BCATP Sites — Directions

Up the road a couple of hours from here is a state park that is based upon Fort Casey. Been years since I've been there, but I'll post some pics from the internet below. Fort Casey was built in the late 1890s as part of a triangular defence (three local forts) against shipborn invasion of the Puget Sound from those pesky Canadians (just kidding). This fort mounted 10" retractable cannons in dissappearing mounts. While a purpose built fort for WWII, it was upgraded in support of potential Japanese invasion. The fort and its supplemental defenes of 75mm mounted cannon was considered obsolete however and was deemed highly vulnerable to air attack

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 329
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 482
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 351
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 304
In these next pics you can see the baracks and officer's quarters. The gun emplacements were built into the side of the hill, popping up only to fire. The fire control bunkers are visible as well as the magazine bunkers. There is an illustration of how the magazines were automated to move the 10" shells. Only two 10" guns remain. One in the firing "pop-up" position and the other retracted and not visible from the field of fire.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 357
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 364
Cool Matt. Reminds me of Fort Rodd Hill in Victoria, B.C. but Fort Casey is much larger. Paper mill in the background of the first picture?

Geo

In these next photos you can see the reverse side of the gun emplacements with all the bunkers built into the back of the hill. Fort Casey is around 500 acres large if I recall correctly. Here is also a perimeter wall entrance and a closer pic of a 75mm defensive gun emplacement. The last two pics are of the door to the telegraph bunker and the more modern fire control bunkers.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 337
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 342
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 19.png
    19.png
    185.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 20.png
    20.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 366
When I was a kid growing up in Orange County (Southern California) we had remnants of WWII there all around. Of course, no battlefields, but there were shore batteries and ammo magazines (bunkers) all along the coastal bluffs. There were also airfields like the Santa Ana Army Airbase, Los Alamitos Army Airfield, MCAS El Toro, NLTAS Santa Ana (airship station), etc. There was also the nearby NWS Seal Beach which still stores 16" naval shells and of course, to the south is MCAS Camp Pendleton.

I was planning on visiting WWII sites in Bulgaria this summer that my sweetheart knows of (Plovdiv, Sofia), but of course those plans were changed...planning on doing it next year now :)

Last edited:
Great stuff guys. Hope you'll be able to make that trip, Crimea.
Matt, the fort looks very similar to fort Mott, which Njaco and I vistited last April. Nice to see those guns in place. Were these guns also present during WW2 or were they reinstalled later?

Great stuff guys. Hope you'll be able to make that trip, Crimea.
Matt, the fort looks very similar to fort Mott, which Njaco and I vistited last April. Nice to see those guns in place. Were these guns also present during WW2 or were they reinstalled later?

The 10"ers were there during WWII, but I think they had no illusions that if a true invasion were to take place enemy air assets would have quickly taken care of them, let alone the firepower on a modern battleship (bigger guns and better fire direction). Only two guns left as I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back