Worlds Greatest Rock Roll Band...

Worlds Greatest Rock Roll Band...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Why?

Did you only listen to the Black Metal and Death Metal.

You should have checked out the other stuff. There is some really good metal out there ranging from Metallica to Lacuna Coil.

Does anyone else here listen to "Eddie Trunk"?

Eddie Trunk

It's on mondays on satellite radio. I catch his show every week, he does mostly "classic" Metal {for want of a better name}, Judas Priest, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Mettalica, AC/DC etc. and lots of lesser known bands. He has lots of Metal news has some great interviews. Last week it was Halford, Tipton Downing, and he also played a couple of tracks from the new Priest album "Nostradamus".

I can't get into any of the "Death Metal" either Lucky

A question for those who were in their late teens or twenties in the early 70s, or who perhaps had the chance to attend rock concerts during that period of time...

That was the time when 2 bands that are considered as some of the greatest rock acts ever were alive: Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

My question: which of those 2 you think was the most powerful during such time? If powerful seems a confusing term, then think which one was more important or consider any of the following elements:

- Fanbase
- Albums sold
- Tours

As a necessary remark i´d say this is not to ask you which one was your favorite. I need your objectiveness.

The point is i just came across another heated "rock debate" where a bunch of guys were discussing which of the 2 had the greatest impact in rock music.

One noted that -musical skills and quality put aside- Pink Floyd attained a somewhat superior notoriety because Led Zeppelin was disbanded in 1979/1980 (forgot the year) when their drummer died, whereas Pink Floyd did continue with its musical career. Pink Floyd continued making albums and touring for an extra 20 years or so after Led Zeppelin´s dissapearance.

When Pink FLoyd and Led Zeppelin were in the boxing ring, which one ruled?

What are your thoughts?

Both bands are considered pioneers in their "genre" Udet, most consider Led Zeppelin to be "Hard Rock" which developed into "Heavy Metal", in the late 60's/early 70's along with Sabbath, Priest, AC/DC others.

Pink Floyd on the other hand are not "Heavy Metal", but are early pioneers of "Prog" {progressive rock}, along with Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, early Genesis. Newer Prog bands like Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater are often compared with Pink Floyd.

So it would really depend on which genre you prefer as to which band you like better.

If you want to know more about Prog music check out progarchives.com

Progressive Rock Music Ultimate Discography ... with Free MP3, Videos and Reviews

Forgive me if I've posted any of this before.
Can't remember and don't feel like sifting through 11 pages of dialogue to find out...

The Rolling Stones are a great band but Satisfaction is far from there best song.

But hey each person has there own musical taste.
While not my favourite band in the "whole-wide-world", I do have to say that many have agreed with me in the past when I said that "Made in the Shade" was their best album.
A compilation of some of the coolest stuff had put out, up to that time.

--------------------------------------

SoD Stitch said:
Okay, here's what I got from the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame website:

"Meanwhile, the Led Zeppelin legend endures and grows long after their demise, much like that of the Doors and Elvis Presley.
Thankyou thankyouverymuch. ;):lol:

-------------------------------------

SoD Stitch said:
Okay, here's what I got from the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame website...At the dawn of the new millennium, Led Zeppelin placed second only to the Beatles in terms of record sales...
(seriously) On top of that, Led Zeppelin was listed in the Guiness Book of World Records for a number of years as having the highest grossing single concert by any Rock act.
I think it was in Florida (Tampa?) in 1973 and ticket sales totaled something like $509,000. I once did the math and found out an average ticket for that concert sold for $5.50.

-------------------------------------

Lucky13 said:
Most of the band from the 60's I'd say....great decade with great cars, music etc...goes for the 50's as well...
It's funny though, listen to radio at work and they talk about biggest selling this and that, most awaited blah blah...etc. of today... Make the bands sounds like that they're greatest thing since the wheel and sliced bread...give me a f*cking break!:lol: I bet that you, when listen to these programs, can come up with plenty of bands that has sold more, sound better and is still talked about after 20+ years...:lol:
In my mind, Rock hasn't really progressed, musically, since the mid-late 1970's.
The 80's were all about digitalization and "regurgitating" the sound that was popular in the late 50's - mid 60's.
Once in a while, I'll actually watch some videos on MTV and VH1 or I'll catch some new band on Leno or something, and all I hear is the stuff I was doing 20+ years ago.

---------------------------------

freebird said:
Does anyone else here listen to "Eddie Trunk"?...he does mostly "classic" Metal {for want of a better name}, Judas Priest, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Mettalica, AC/DC etc.
Speaking of AC-DC, I remember the day "Highway to Hell" was released in the US.
I was 15 and my mom just happened to be going into the neighboring town that contained "the record store".
When I got in line, it was maybe 1/4 way down the block. I remember going in and a good 75% of the record bins were stuffed with the album. What copies couldn't fit, were left in their shipping boxes, which were opened and strewn all over the floor.
By the time I got in, bought an album and walked out, the line went all the way down the block, around the corner and down the next block.
I had that album until about 10 years ago, when I gave away my record collection.

Elvis

As wikipedia says:
"Rock and roll (also known as rock 'n' roll) is a form of music that evolved in the United States in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and quickly spread to the rest of the world.

Classic rock and roll is played with one or two electric guitars (one lead, one rhythm), a string bass or (after the mid-1950s) an electric bass guitar, and a drum kit. In the earliest rock and roll styles of the late 1940s and early 1950s, either the piano or saxophone was often the lead instrument, but these were generally replaced or supplemented by guitar in the mid to late 1950s. The beat is essentially a boogie woogie blues rhythm with an accentuated backbeat, the latter almost always provided by a snare drum.

The massive popularity and eventual worldwide view of rock and roll gave it an unprecedented social impact. Far beyond simply a musical style, rock and roll, as seen in movies and in the new medium of television, influenced lifestyles, fashion, attitudes, and language. It went on to spawn various sub-genres, often without the characteristic backbeat, that are more properly called simply 'rock music'."

Now, this makes me wonder, how many of these can be called rock n roll bands, if they can, where's Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Johnny Burnette Rock n Roll Trio etc. etc...? I mean not many of them use "one or two electric guitars (one lead, one rhythm), a string bass or (after the mid-1950s) an electric bass guitar, and a drum kit", or play with a "backbeat"? Aren't these more a "derivative form" of rock n roll?

Stylistic origins:
Gospel
Folk music
Blues
Western swing

Cultural origins
United States in the period up to the 1950s

Typical instruments
Electric guitar, string bass or later bass guitar, drums, piano, saxophone

Mainstream popularity
One of the best selling music forms since the 1950s

Derivative forms
Rock, soft rock, pop

Another thing...many of my heroes, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Johnny Burnette, are dead, but still they talk about and play their music and that after been gone for almost 50! years, isn't that a sign of true greatness I don't know what is....still they're not on the list.
How many of these will be remembered and worshipped in 50 or so years...?

I'm gonna put in a few smilies here so you that I'm NOT criticizing anyone's choice of music etc., but just having a good discussion with a group of friends...8) tongue in cheek and all that stuff..:lol: :lol:

Next round of beers are on me fellas!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

...beer?...free?....Free beer?.....HEY EVERYONE! FREE BEER!!!!!

...you're gonna BBQ some chicken and ribs to go with that Beer, right?

(just kidding :D )

Actually, I'm supposing that you're stating that most of the bands listed, such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin and Metallica aren't actually "Rock-n-Roll" bands, but fall under a sub-heading under that?

...hmmm, I guess I could see that.
I see the flip side, where it's all Rock-n-Roll, its simply matured and diversafied over the years.
Much like Jazz did in the decades before.

So I guess if you had to stick to ONLY that list, your choice might be The Beach Boys, only because they fit closest to that definition of genre?

Elvis

Of course....you'll need to get here to Glasgow though...as I've said before, ANYONE coming to Glasgow, let me know and I'll buy a few rounds...!

That's right Njaco, TWO rounds.... :lol:

You're right Elvis...

If ur gonna rank BOC over ACDC or Metallica u need to get ur hearing checked man...

As far as combining the 2 sounds, rock and metal, I did that for a reason....

all a matter of opinion, and obviously concert attending experince in combination with actual technical music knowledge. Dharma far more diverse than Angus though the latter a great player as well.

Metallica a sold out commercial band for years as seen on any metal forum. Fine at the start, I saw Mustaine play with them when still unknown. But long since a sell out.

Metallica a sold out commercial band for years as seen on any metal forum. Fine at the start, I saw Mustaine play with them when still unknown. But long since a sell out.

Ah bullshit! That is a such a ****ing copout to say they sold out. The music has been amazing and still is. People only say such things because it has become cool to say such things!

I have been a fan of the might Met since the 80s. Seen them 12 times now including 2 times last month (even got to meet the band a few weeks ago), and will be seeing them again on July 4th. The band is amazing live even today.

Opinions are opinions, everyone has one and that is fine, but stop using the fricken sold out BS. It has gotten really really old...

Just because a band evolves there sound, does not mean they sold out. My favorite are the idiots who say they sold out with the Black Album only because it is so well produced. It was the right album at the right time.

Long live Metallica!

I have to go with Kiss, they really invited the stage show.

They do put on a great stage show! Seen them a few times now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back