Worlds Greatest Rock Roll Band...

Worlds Greatest Rock Roll Band...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You know, there was a time when I thought I'd never read or hear that someone was too young to remember the 1970's.

...times sure changed fast.

So who was bigger, Floyd or Zep?

I think it really depends on who's corner you decide to be in.

Here's something...

Which band held the world record, for years, for the highest grossing single concert in Rock history?
(I did the math on this once and an average ticket price was around $5.50 :shock: ).

Which band, while touring for the album they're best remembered for, sold out (I believe it was) The Hollywood Palladium, 20 minutes after it was announced on a popular FM rock station.

Like I said before, I think it really depended on whose corner you wanted to be in.
Personally, I (can) play drums like Bonzo and Mason, so maybe I'll just sit in my Boston corner and if I play my cards right, maybe Sib Hashian will give me a good deal on some Ludwig equipment. :D

Elvis

Elvis, interesting...but i do not think i know the response to both questions. What was the band that attained such deeds?

Elvis, interesting...but i do not think i know the response to both questions. What was the band that attained such deeds?

He's talking about Zeppelin, of course (my fave band, also); the concert they set the record at was a concert at the Pontiac Silverdome, which broke their 1973 attendance record, with 76,229 people on April 30, 1977. It was, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the largest attendance to date for a single act show.

Sod Stitch:

Thanks!!! Interesting information...did you have the chance to attend a Led Zeppeling concert? (dunno know your age!)

Sod Stitch:

Thanks!!! Interesting information...did you have the chance to attend a Led Zeppeling concert? (dunno know your age!)

Unfortunately, no; their last US tour was in '77, when I was a whopping 14 years old (not quite old enough to go to concerts yet, according to my parents). I had to settle for seeing Robert Plant in 1995 instead.

And I did not get to win a lottery ticket to their recent London concert (though I know someone who did; go here for the story in our local newspaper: http://www.modbee.com/columnists/jardine/story/182896.html). There's a lot of talk about The Mighty Zep getting back together again with Jason Bonham (John's son, who played with them at the London concert), but I don't think any of the members are all that excited about touring all over the world again (except for maybe Jason); when you're sixty years old, going back out on the road again probably doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. We'll see . . . . .

He's talking about Zeppelin, of course (my fave band, also); the concert they set the record at was a concert at the Pontiac Silverdome, which broke their 1973 attendance record, with 76,229 people on April 30, 1977. It was, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the largest attendance to date for a single act show.

No that has been broken.

I was at a Bon Jovi show in 1996 in Stuttgart, Germany and it was recorded at 83,000 in attendance. I still have the newspaper article from the next day announcing it.

Interesting Zep and Floyd are getting the main focus. Both are in my top 10.

I still say the Beatles for shear influence on contemporary music. They did it all blues, early metal ( aka helter skelter ), very early rap ( come together it has those elements, rock n roll, psychidellica, proggressive music.

Their influence is still being felt and will continue too as music is start to do full circle if you listen closer to certain chord changes.

There is after all only 7 natural notes and their respective sharpes and flats and it can only go so far.

A question for those who were in their late teens or twenties in the early 70s, or who perhaps had the chance to attend rock concerts during that period of time...

Me for one - it was at Knebworth in England, 1979, and their last ever tour was in 1980, and then John Bonham died... it was pretty bad... alcohol can be more addictive than anything when it gets a hold... :(

More on the Zeppelin vs Floyd issue:

Are there any numbers with regard to how both bands continue selling records?

It´d be interesting to know which of those 2 seem to attract more people of the "new generations"; with this i mean people -like me- who were born quite a few years after Zeppelin´s dissapearance.

More on the Zeppelin vs Floyd issue:

Are there any numbers with regard to how both bands continue selling records?

It´d be interesting to know which of those 2 seem to attract more people of the "new generations"; with this i mean people -like me- who were born quite a few years after Zeppelin´s dissapearance.

I have no hard facts or figures but, judging from what I've read heard, I would have to say that Zeppelin's music has stood up better to the test of time; I can't tell you how many high-school age kids I've seen in my town running around with Led Zeppelin t-shirts on. Now, that's not to say that they necessarily listen to Zeppelin, but it does say something about the longevity and timelessness of the band.

I'll see if I can't dig up some statistics on those album sales for you . . . .

Okay, here's what I got from the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame website:

"Meanwhile, the Led Zeppelin legend endures and grows long after their demise, much like that of the Doors and Elvis Presley. The lingering appeal of Led Zeppelin is perhaps best summed up by guitarist Page: "Passion is the word....It was a very passionate band, and that's really what comes through." At the dawn of the new millennium, Led Zeppelin placed second only to the Beatles in terms of record sales, having sold 84 million units. Led Zeppelin IV is the fourth best-selling album in history, having sold more than 22 million copies, and four other albums by the band – Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin II, Houses of the Holy and Led Zeppelin - also rank among the all-time top 100 best-sellers. Fittingly, Led Zeppelin is tied with the Beatles (five apiece) for the most albums on that esteemed list – a mark of both bands' impact. In their ceaseless determination to move music forward, Led Zeppelin carved out an indelible place in rock history."

To me the best is The Rolling Stones, and Satisfaction is the best piece. But I also like much Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Who, Jimi Hendrix and The Experience and Cream.

Juha

I also think that the re-entry into the mainstream of a FEW bands has been the exposure of the youth through movies.

I really can't pick a fav. I'd have to say Floyd, Stones, Beatles..I don't see the Beatles in the same arena, really.

Most of the band from the 60's I'd say....great decade with great cars, music etc...goes for the 50's as well...
It's funny though, listen to radio at work and they talk about biggest selling this and that, most awaited blah blah...etc. of today... Make the bands sounds like that they're greatest thing since the wheel and sliced bread...give me a f*cking break! :lol: I bet that you, when listen to these programs, can come up with plenty of bands that has sold more, sound better and is still talked about after 20+ years...:lol:

not really, musically their stuff is pretty good.

They are more cheesy than all metal combined, I will admit :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back