Your 'What if?' Builds.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Latest on mine

Almost ready for paint , upon looking for the colours though I haven't got them , and after some posts here about 'humbrol's new range' I'm opting for second hand older humbrol paints ( auction closes sunday)

Will be painting monday

Attachments

• IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 105
Looking good Daniel. The painting guide in the background of your pic appears to be of a Mk1 Spit. Don't forget that by 1944, the RAF were using Dark Green, Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey, not the green, earth and sky shown on the Spit. Also, not that it matters much for a 'What if', the pattern used was Scheme B, where the Spit shown is the reverse, Scheme A. I wouldn't worry about the latter though, just use the Spit diagram, and substitute the Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey. Should look cracking in RAF finish mate!!

Looking good Dan, I agree with Terry, it'll look cool in an RAF scheme! 8)

Progress on my crate so far. 1st pic shows cockpit finished (with Ju-88 seatbelts fitted.. :oops:) Also painted and weathered wheel-wells. The fuselage is half glued.

2nd pic shows fuselage together with cockpit fitted, there's a bit of filler needed on the top seam. Will also need to fill the top and bottom of the engine cowling too. Also the inside of the flaps were preshaded and sprayed with zinc chromate green. I needed to fill in some holes on the tail planes too.

SL380024.gif

SL380025.gif

I was in a modelshop yesterday, they had a set of decals for an Irish Air Corps Lysander, I might get them for another what-if. Same kind of theme for this one, a lend/lease P-47 8)

BTW, an IAC PC-9 crashed in Connemara yesterday, Instructor and Pilot Cadet both killed. BBC NEWS | Europe | Investigation into pilots' deaths

With Terry , cheers guys too

Terry can you supply some profiles with the correct camo patterns? also maybe paint mixes too? would be appreciated

Will do Daniel. For the paints, in the Humbrol enamel range it's Dark Green No.30, Ocean Grey No.27. I normally mix my own Medium Sea Grey, about 50/50 No.27 and white, but you'll see the shade when I post some profiles etc tomorrow. Humbrol do have a shade that's as near as dammit, but i can't remember the number off hand!

Hi Daniel. I'm having a bit of trouble scanning the profiles I was going to show, so here's a pic of my MkXIV Spit showing the colours. And I was WRONG about the pattern - the one shown in your Spit Mk1 painting guide is the correct one, as used on the MkXIV shown. Hope this helps mate.

Attachments

• Spit XIV Build 572.jpg
    Spit XIV Build 572.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 109
Love that spit Terry! :thumbleft:

I got a bit done on the P-40 last night. I stuck a 'floor' in under the cockpit, if you don't, you can see up through the fuselage when the flaps are down. I cut out the required shape from plastic card and painted it zinc chromate green. I needed to add some plastic strip along the wing root as there was huge gap on each side. They still need some filler added. I also filled and sanded under the wing guns, there were big gaps there too. The wings are glued on now and she's taped up like the 109 in Terrys sig pic.

Will post pics later :)

Here's some update pics on the P-40. You can see the 'floor' added under the raised flap.

SL380030-1.gif

SL380032.gif

Still needs a bit more filling and sanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back