Your 'What if?' Builds.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 'What ifs?' have started, and we need more, so get those 'Protection Flights' on the workbench, there's a good chap!

Once I get my Zero's done , Il do a 'D-day' Dora ,EDIT: nope I've lost the canopy's windscreen

Will make it though if I can find a replacement

Last edited:
Carrying on from what Terry started

Heres the latest on the 'Cyclone' , as its an RAF fighter I painted it the usual interior green

along with wheel weels , engine bay etc

Attachments

• 234345.jpg
    234345.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 110
Alright , first thing tomorrow mate

Would do it for ya now but its dark outside and the camera needs to sleep ie have its battery charged :D

Here ye go Wayne

Taking off the tape today the gap at the wing root is huge and will need lots of putty

I'm gonna try my hand at making thisa putty stuff , Terry could you confirm its Klear+ talcom powder? ( heard you mention this a few times)

Also apologies for the small size of the photos , will be this way for few more days til my connection resets for the new month

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 113
Here ye go Wayne

Taking off the tape today the gap at the wing root is huge and will need lots of putty

I'm gonna try my hand at making thisa putty stuff , Terry could you confirm its Klear+ talcom powder? ( heard you mention this a few times)

Also apologies for the small size of the photos , will be this way for few more days til my connection resets for the new month

That will be a nice challenge to tackle Daniel, a good test for you!

...and the slowed internet...THAT SUCKS Big time, happens to me too..:(

Nice progress Dan, fill her up!

I was going to start my P-40 what-if to get away from the GB stuka for a while, but I decided to keep going with it (the stuka) for now.

Like you I don't have a cool story like Terry came up with! My what-if is an Irish Air corps crate. Ireland was neutral during the war, but what-if they declared war on Germany the day after the British did? (Lots of Irish men and women did, they went north to the border or over the pond and volunteered)

My P-40 will be a lend/lease plane provided by the USAAF after they set up bases in Ireland in early 1942. These crates were used to train irish recruits before deployment to North Africa. So basically the build will be an olive drab over grey P-40 with Irish markings, I think it'll look cool!

Sounds great Keith, and very plausible too. Looking forward to seeing those atractive Irish roundels on a P40, I agree, should look cool!
Daniel, yep, that's right. Mix Klear (or gloss enamel varnish for a thicker mix) with talcum powder, until it's like porridge. The more talc added, obviously the thicker it will be, but the idea is to have it as a thin porridge, so that it's just thick enough to be 'stiff', but thin enough to be able to run it into gaps. Hence using this instead of tube putty, or stiffer compounds such as Milliput.
With Klear, it dries quicker, and will leave a dusty deposit, which goes when sanded. Fill the gap and let it dry for at least half an hour. Don't put too much in at first, just enough so that it flows in and looks level. When its's dry, if you think it needs more, then do so, and let it build up if neccessary. Again, let it dry, then sand as normal, but lightly. If there are any pin holes or gaps or depressions, just 'paint in' some more, slightly thinned with a bit more Klear.
For this final exercise, dealing with very small depressions, that's where gloss enasmel varnish is better, as it's thicker and bonds better. Paint and talc can also be used for this final bit, although paint tends to be a bit more difficult to judge when mixing with the talc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back