Your 'What if?' Builds. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, and get those 'protection Flight' birds going Jan.
Wayne, I'm not sure though whether this 'Arado 290A' is a short tailed or long tailed version.........

Ah well Dave, I compared it against this photo of the surving Ar290A-2 (the third prototype, V153/290), but, due to the angle, the results were inconclusive!

Attachments

• Czech 164.jpg
    Czech 164.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 138
Thanks chaps. I've got a bit more done, and it's moving swiftly towards the painting stage.
PIC 1 shows the screw holes in the fuselage filled with Milliput and, on the rear fuselage, a radio access hatch has been engraved, and is awaiting clean-up.
PIC 2 The screw holes on the underside of the wing have also been filled, and the slot for the arrestor hook plated over, to simulate a sheet metal panel. The tiny tail wheel will definitely be replaced with something larger, more in keeping with a Luftwaffe fighter operating from grass strips, and a suitable item has been sourced from ther spares box, to be fitted later.
PIC 3. A hand hold and the rear fuel tank filler hatch have been lightly engraved on the port fuselage side. These will be outlined in pencil, after the model has been painted. Also visible here is a small 'hatch cover', added to the top decking imediately behind the cockpit, which also covers a rectangular hole. A 'Panzerglas' headrest/armour will be scratch-built and fitted to the front of the headrest support later, and possibly a DF loop, on the rear cockpit decking. Holes have been drilled on the underside of the fuselage, near the wing root, to accept a scratch-built retractable step later.
PIC 4 With the wings and tailplanes in place, this is what the model looks like to date. The main landing gear had to be fitted before joining the wings, but, as they retract, they won't cause a problem at the painting stage.
Those who are familiar with the 'Zero' will no doubt spot the bl**dy big error!
For those not so familiar, the gear legs are the wrong way around!!
I test fitted them probably six or seven times, so how the heck I managed to do this, I don't know! I'd thought of cutting the mounting/swivel pins, and correcting the problem, but decided to live with it, and the leg doors will be modified and fitted to the'wrong' side. Of course, I could always use the excuse that Arado modified the gear design, in order to allow quicker and easier wheel changes! Sounds good enough to me!!
There is still a small amount of filler required here and there, notably along the cowling joint on the port side, but once that's done, it's time for the main aim of the exercise - the paintwork!
More soon, and thanks again for your interest.

Attachments

• Arado 290 040.jpg
    Arado 290 040.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Arado 290 043.jpg
    Arado 290 043.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Arado 290 045.jpg
    Arado 290 045.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Arado 290 044.jpg
    Arado 290 044.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 113
Just one question Terry... If this is supposed to be a German version of Zero, shouldn't then the tail wheel be of larger dimensions? Frankly I can't remember a single German aircraft with such tinny tail wheel (except maybe Fi-156 Storch) as was apparently usual on Japanese fighters.

Looking great so far.

Yes Igor, I mentioned it in the text. I'll be replacing the very tiny tail wheel with a larger one from the spares box. That small wheel, with its solid tyre, might have been OK for carrier decks, but it would just dig in and cause problems on a wet, grass airfield. I'd like to be able to replace the main gear wheels also, but there's not much I can do about those, without converting the wheel bays. As this is a 'just for fun' exercise, I won't be doing that!

I apologize Terry. I went through your text in a hurry and must admit I haven't read everything. I was paying greater attention to the progress photos then to reading what you wrote. :oops:

Good point about grass airfields and carrier decks. I was thinking the same thing when I posted my comment.
Your Ar 290 Zero will look great when finished, no doubt about that. :thumbright:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back