Your 'What if?' Builds.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have studied your photo extensively terry and compared it to the tamiya kit of the ar290 and clearly the angle of the dangle from the flip flop valve to the oojamawotsit indicate yours is clearly the shot tail version
all it took was a little maths and a lot of Bs for me to work it out and also of course knowing that your photo was taken just after lunch on a tuesday i will now astound the aircraft world with my knowledge of nothing very much really

Thanks guys, and it's no problem Igor - I guessed you'd missed that bit in the text!
Vic, there's not that much to the kit, built OOB. Although the Bf109 from this company received a lot more attention with scratch-built detailing, I'm keeping this one simple, with the colour scheme being the important consideration.
Jamie, your vast knowledge astounds me - I would never have though to measure the angle of dangle from the flip flop valve! Great work mate, as I can now confirm that this is a Ar290A-1/R1.
Incidentally, this aircraft was the first in the Arado poduction series to divert from the normal numbering sequence, by using the '2' prefix for a single engine fighter. Arado numbering would normally be, for example Ar196, where the '1' denotes a single engine type, with twin engined aircraft bearing the '2' prefix, for example Ar234. It is thought that the '290' number was allocated because other twin, or multi-engined designs were already in production or development, and the '290' was far enough out of sequence to avoid confusion. Also, research to date indicated that there was a requirement to align the type with the FW190 whilst at the same time providing a cover against allied intelligence, whereby it was hoped that the Ar290 would be thought to be a further development of the Focke Wulf fighter, helped, no doubt, by the similarities in shape.
Unfortunately, as is often the case in areas of research where little information exists, it is very possible that this could be an instance of bovinus effluentis......

Incidentally, this aircraft was the first in the Arado poduction series to divert from the normal numbering sequence, by using the '2' prefix for a single engine fighter. Arado numbering would normally be, for example Ar196, where the '1' denotes a single engine type, with twin engined aircraft bearing the '2' prefix, for example Ar234. It is thought that the '290' number was allocated because other twin, or multi-engined designs were already in production or development, and the '290' was far enough out of sequence to avoid confusion. Also, research to date indicated that there was a requirement to align the type with the FW190 whilst at the same time providing a cover against allied intelligence, whereby it was hoped that the Ar290 would be thought to be a further development of the Focke Wulf fighter, helped, no doubt, by the similarities in shape.
Unfortunately, as is often the case in areas of research where little information exists, it is very possible that this could be an instance of bovinus effluentis......

Ah! you learn something new everyday here! thanks Terry

Well, the deviation from the typical Arado designation could have been attributed from the chaotic late-war conditions...look at the Ar340 for example, it was a twin engined bomber concept...or the Ar234C, which was a four engined design...

So perhaps they had the "2" as a prefix for two possible tail configurations?

Thanks guys, and nice one Dave! We'll have to be careful here, otherwise we might spawn a whole new 'rumour factory' concerning 'lost' Luftwaffe aircraft types. Oh dear.....he he!!

a what if i plan on doing someday (when world of children, work and wife's gives me a chance) is an Isreali p 47. I know they where looking t them and had plans to buy ex brazilian ones, i think i even read somewhere they test flew some in the Us

I've managed to get the basic camouflage paint scheme done, in between working on the engines for the MTO GB Beaufighter.
The entire model was first sprayed in RLM 76 'Weissblau' as a primer, mixed from Humbrol No.65 Light Blue and No.27 Grey enamels. When dry, the fuselage sides, fin and rudder, and the entire undersides were given a second coat, appied evenly overall. Once this was dry, the fuselage top decking and the upper surfaces of the wings and tailplanes were sprayed in RLM 75, again mixed from Humbrol enamels to an approximate shade, although slightly lighter than required, to allow for the darkening effect of the clear coats to follow.This was applied in stages, misting and building up onto some panels, and more heavily on others, in order to provide a very slight 'weathering' effect. The fuselage sides and fin were given a very light dusting of the same colour, in a graduation from the top of the demarcation line, becoming lighter to a point roughly half way down the fuselage. This was followed by some light mottling, again using the mixed RLM 75.
Finally, the RLM 74 was applied in a similar fashion, using Humbrol 27 Grey, with a very small touch of blue and black. This was sprayed free-hand, varying the 'feathering' of the demarcation between a slightly soft edge, to an almost hard edge, in keeping with the pattern style of the period (late 1943/early 1944). A denser mottle of the RLM 74 was then sprayed on the fuselage sides and the fin, blending in to the top decking.
The next stage is some detail painting, when the lower cowling and the rudder will be painted in 04 Yellow, and then some weathering and panel line work done, before the model is gloss coated ready for the decals.
Hopefully, I should have some more pics tomorrow, unless the Beaufighter engines totally monopolise my attention!
Thanks again for your interest and kind (and humorous!) comments.

Attachments

• Arado 290 047.jpg
    Arado 290 047.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Arado 290 050.jpg
    Arado 290 050.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Arado 290 051.jpg
    Arado 290 051.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Arado 290 052.jpg
    Arado 290 052.jpg