Your Wild Life Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:thumbleft:

Here we go gents.
Young herons on the cable - Chain of failures.
They all had fallen in a few seconds.

Young_herons.JPG

We used to see a lot of them back in Illinois on Lake Shelbyville. They'd walk along the dock late at night. Here in Arkansas I only see them rarely. Flying along in the sky they remind me of Pterodactyls.
BlueHeronAug.jpg

Recently came across a Western Garter snake while shooting wildflowers.

It's hard to tell it's exact species, as it looks alot like Diablo Garter subspecies. Anyway, it was about 3 feet long (about a meter) and their main defense is to hold completely still - this worked in my favor, so I could get some good shots of it! :D

Here it is along the trail:
IMGP18067[720x477].jpg

And here's a nice close-up:
IMGP18070-ed[720x477]b.jpg

A little bit later, I zoomed in on a Redwing Blackbird that was across the creek:
IMGP18078-ed[720x477].jpg

All in all, not a bad day's score of wildlife!

It was pretty close to that, Marcel and this is about as large as they grow. Garter snakes certainly aren't the largest we have here in California, several other Snake species can grow to be much larger, like the California King and Rattlesnakes, for example.

Nice! The old I&M Canal was near where we lived in Joliet and the Red-Wings were all over it. Used to see those Garters all over the place back when I was a kid plus the solid green Grass snakes, used to catch them as pets.
I have yet to see either one here in Arkansas but we do have a Black Racer living somewhere nearby as I'll see him going down to the dock every so often. About 2ft (0.6m)
BlackRacer.jpg

Some more pix of alligators, crabs, birds and a turtle all from my time in Texas. A lot of turtles end up as road-kill.

Attachments

• Alligator Texas 1.jpg
    Alligator Texas 1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 78
  • Alligator Texas 2.jpg
    Alligator Texas 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Black Crowned Night Heron 1.jpg
    Black Crowned Night Heron 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Black Crowned Night Heron 2.jpg
    Black Crowned Night Heron 2.jpg