1/12 Tamiya F1-312T (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Ok so this was never meant to fly even though it has wings but by way of a change I thought I'd chuck in this build of a Ferrari F1. Should the moderators feel I've stepped outside of the parameters of the forum and decide to remove the thread, that's fine by me. After all I still get to build it and have all the fun.
t2002.gif

So what have we got. Well this kit was made sometime in the 70s and has a lot of parts, well over 320 counting all the repeat parts and cut up wire or tubing. As always with Tamiya the construction details a crisp and clear and the parts even for more the 30 years ago are well formed with minimal flush but still have the mould lines and ejection pin marks.

The box art and a sample of the instructions.

111130-1A.jpg

111130-1C.jpg

111130-1B.jpg

111130-1D.jpg

As you can see the parts come on several coloured sprue but I have found that spraying or hand painting gives a better result.

111130-2A.jpg

111130-2B.jpg

111130-2F.jpg

111130-2C.jpg

111130-2G.jpg

111130-2D.jpg

111130-2E.jpg

So where to start. Well the instructions recommend the cockpit area followed by the steering, so this is what I did.
The main cockpit with the fire extinguisher, control pedals and a white accelerator cable added.

111202-1B.jpg

111202-1C.jpg

Here we have a line-up of the parts that make up the steering rack followed by the assembled rack.

111202-1D.jpg

111202-1E.jpg

111202-1A.jpg

The rack has been fitted along with a brown clutch cable.

111203-1A.jpg

The radiators and break oil tanks have now been fitted.

111203-1B.jpg

The relay box and fuse box are added on the left with the gear shift pox and rod on the right.

111203-1C.jpg

The left and right oil coolers that are fitted behind the cockpit.

111203-1D.jpg

Oil coolers, steering wheel and dash panel fitted.

111204-1A.jpg

111204-1B.jpg

This next set of pics show the front suspension parts, the brake pads and discs with air coolers. The initial construction and final fitting.

111204-1C.jpg

111204-1D.jpg

111204-1E.jpg

111204-1G.jpg

Tomorrow if the thread is still around, well talk and look at the engine.

Good stuff Vic. I have the same kit (I think) or maybe a later version, found at a Council Refuse tip, with a load of tins of paint!
It's part built, with a couple of errors, and i keep meaning to do something with it.

Do you have to be SAE certified to build that thing?!? :shock: You know, all kidding aside, if they labeled all those parts you would actually learn quite a bit wouldn't you!

Good stuff Vic. I have the same kit (I think) or maybe a later version, found at a Council Refuse tip, with a load of tins of paint!
It's part built, with a couple of errors, and i keep meaning to do something with it.

I quite agree with the recycling Terry, but I dread to think what you were doing at the refuse tip.........fossicking maybe!!
b0255.gif

Do you have to be SAE certified to build that thing?!? :shock: You know, all kidding aside, if they labeled all those parts you would actually learn quite a bit wouldn't you!

Matt, the surprise is that the kit instructions actually have a checklist of each individual part on the sprue, so yes mate you do learn and know exactly what your fitting and, I've had a few surprises.
t2002.gif

No mate, I was dumping some stuff, and the huge box or the kit was on a table in a shed, where items such as books, fishing rods etc are for sale, presumably dumped by some people. Cost me three quid !
BTW, it's a later model, the F1/241 or something similar.

Those are great models Vic and, if you're like me, you'll have aball building this. I have an old Walter Wolf one kicking around somewhere.

That's Gilles Villeneuve's cart is it not?

Thanks guy's, I'm rather pleased many of you are happy to see an F1 up here.
t2002.gif

That's Gilles Villeneuve's cart is it not?

Sorry Andy but this one is a bit before Villeneuve's time with Ferrari. He joined them in 1977 but this machine is from the 1975 season when Regazzoni and Lauda were at the wheel

Tonight we look at the engine construction. Here are the major components for the engine block.

111205-1A.jpg

The fuel injection plates and feed lines.

111205-1B.jpg

The distributor cap, leads being fitted and the fuel pump with feed lines.

111205-1C.jpg

Leads and feed lines tied ready for placement.

111205-1D.jpg

Both distributor and fuel pump fitted with leads and feed lines connected.

111206-1A.jpg

111206-1B.jpg

My goodness, it looks like you might be able to drive it off for real when finished. Don't lend it to anyone in Japan though - they have a habit of crashing supercars and the like...:)

Aw, come on guys, what's wrong with a little detail.

...............To be honest, it's gone together like a dream and we may even be decaling in a couple of days.
MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back