1/12 Tamiya F1-312T

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for your interest folks.

Tonight I'm working on the gearbox. Not quite as complex as the engine..............until one adds the suspension, that was when the problems began.
The main gearbox parts.

111206-1C.jpg

Sorry about this folks, but I got so enthralled by what I was doing that I forgot to take pics. Next up we have just a couple of shots of the finished box and suspension.

111206-1E.jpg

111206-1D.jpg

The gearbox fitted to the engine.

111206-1F.jpg

111206-1G.jpg

111206-1H.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Ferrari_312T_1975.jpg

The development of the 312T began in 1974, as it became apparent that problems with the handling of the then current 312B3 chassis could not be solved, and a radical re-think was required. [1] As with all Ferrari F1 cars of this era, the design of the new model was led by Mauro Forghieri.

The car was constructed with aluminium panels over a tubular steel spaceframe, as was typical in F1 at the time,[2] but featured a large number of new design features, the most interesting of which was the transverse-mounted gearbox - the T in the car's name stood for Trasversale. The gearbox design allowed it to be positioned ahead of the rear axle, in order to give a low polar moment of inertia. The suspension was also significantly different from that of the 312B3, and the front of the chassis was much narrower. The handling of the car was found to be inherently neutral, not suffering from the persistent understeer which blighted the 312B3. Niki Lauda tested the car extensively during the off season, ready for a full on championship challenge.

The first 312T was completed in the autumn of 1974, and unveiled to the press in Modena after the end of the 1974 season. However, the team used the old 312B3 at the first two races of the 1975 season, and it was not until the South African Grand Prix the 312T received its race debut. The car's performance at its debut race was disappointing, with Clay Regazzoni's car being set up incorrectly, and Niki Lauda's suffering from a lack of power. A subesequent test of Lauda's engine proved that there was a technical problem.[1]

The 312T was tested alongside the 312B3 at Fiorano, proving conclusively that the newer car was faster, and indeed it went on to win its next race, the non-championship International Trophy race, with Lauda at the wheel. In the world championship, after the slow start to the season in which Brabham, Tyrrell and McLaren put up strong competition, Lauda won 4 out of 5 races mid season before snatching the title at Monza by finishing third, whilst Clay Regazzoni's win in that race secured Ferrari its first constructors' championship since 1964. Lauda went on to win the US Grand Prix at season's end, confirming Ferrari's superiority in 1975.

The Formula 1 technical regulations were changed for the 1976 season - from the Spanish Grand Prix in May, the tall air boxes which had become popular would be banned. The rules therefore allowed Ferrari to continue to use the 312T for the opening 3 races of the 1976 season (Lauda won the first two and Regazzoni the third), before the introduction of its successor, a revised version called the 312T2.

A total of five 312T chassis were used in races (chassis numbers: 018,021,022,023,024).[3] The car's final world championship race was at the 1976 United States Grand Prix West.

I'm rather an F1 fan...............

Thanks guys.

The next little job on this monster was to sort out the exhaust system. Here the instructions were a bit obscure and it was a case of trial and error getting them in the right position and then holding them thre while adding the glue. We got there in the end as you can see.

111207-1A.jpg

111207-1C.jpg

111207-1B.jpg

Having got the exhaust sorted it was time to work the rear suspension. Once again the bits are shown.

111207-2A.jpg

After working on these components the assembly went reasonably smooth though it was a bit of a trick getting all the bits to fit where they were supposed to.

111207-2C.jpg

111207-2B.jpg

With a kit as detailed as this it was a bit of a surprise to find that there was no seat harness in the cockpit. So guess what.................I decided to make some.
First up I had to find suitable material to make them with.

111208-1A.jpg

Searching the net I came up with an idea of what was required and then cut out from an old yoghurt foil lid the belts and then shaped all the buckles from plastic sheet and rod.

111208-1B.jpg

Having completed this I refined the shapes and gave them a coat or two of paint.

111208-1C.jpg

Next up we fitted the buckles to the belts, pads to the shoulder straps and the release mechanism.

111208-1D.jpg

The finished product.

111208-1E.jpg

Would you believe it but this model is done. One could almost say "the perfect kit." Anyway here are my final shots.

111208-2A.jpg

111208-2D.jpg

111208-2C.jpg

111208-2B.jpg

111210-1B.jpg

111210-1A.jpg

111210-1D.jpg

111210-1C.jpg

111210-1E.jpg

111210-1F.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Users who are viewing this thread