1/24 Grumman F3F-2 - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Username: ccheese
Name: Charles
Category: Non-Competing Judge
Kit:: Rubber powered Balsa/Tissue model of U.S.Navy Grumman F3F-2
Manufacture: Diels Engineering Co. Of Amherst, Ohio
Scale: 1/24
Accessories: None, OOB

This is going to be a very difficult build. The plans were drawn in 1997, and the construction procedures are quite old. Also, the plans are very vague when it comes to some of the more difficult construction. I intend to change the wheels to rubber, as the plans call for several round pieces of balsa sanded to look like wheels. The tail piece is also several pieces of balsa glued together and sanded. I will replace this with a balsa block, sanded to shape. The wing tips will be solid balsa, sanded to shape, also.

Most of my builds start with the fuselage, then progress to the wings, tail, etc. This one will start with the lower wing, then the fuselage, tail and upper wing.

The plans are quite big, and two sided. I have made copies of the components and will work from these.

I have several things on my plate, so it will be a few days before construction actually starts

History

In 1935 the U.S. Navy placed an order with the Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation, then of Farmingdale, for the design and construction of a new fighter, the F3F. Based on earlier Grumman biplane designs, the F3F was faster and more maneuverable than any Navy fighter to date. By 1937, due to the slow development of the early monoplane fighters, the Navy ordered more F3Fs, this time an improved model, the F3F-2. The F3F-2 was strong, fast, maneuverable, and was considered a wonderful aircraft to fly. Its pilots considered it the ultimate biplane fighter; in fact it was the last biplane fighter produced in the United States. With its silver fuselage, yellow wings, and red, white, and blue markings, it was among the most colorful military aircraft ever built, but it heralded the end of an era.
By 1939 all U.S. Navy and Marine fighter squadrons flew Grumman biplane fighters exclusively. Of the 164 F3Fs built, 140 were still in service, as trainers in United States, at the time of the U.S. entry into World War II in December, 1941.

Today the F3F is an extremely rare aircraft, with but two original surviving examples.

Here's a good video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os19XiWGDjs

Charles

Attachments

• F3F-2.jpg
    F3F-2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_2744.JPG
    DSC_2744.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_2745.JPG
    DSC_2745.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC_2747.JPG
    DSC_2747.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Glad to see you in the build, it just wouldn't be the same without one of your "wooden wonders"!
So now we have the F3F Grummans well represented, The -3 that Bill is doing, your -2, and the -1 that I will do!

Will watch with great interest. Glad to see you in.
And to any sooth sayer..... if it can't go in the thread, keep it to your own bl00dy self!

And Charles, yes on that F2b.......
I wanna go back to my childhood and build one of these stick-n-paper things again.
I'm vacillating about doing my F2b plastic kit in this build along with the F3F.

Glad to see you jump in Charles looks like a lot of work ahead of you on this build looking forward to it.

Started cutting out and sanding the lower wing ribs, today. God bless this scalpel.... nice clean cuts, very little sanding required.

BTW, see those round things on the balsa board ? Those are parts of the wheels ! Not going to happen !!

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2750.JPG
    DSC_2750.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 179
Are all those bits just printed on the balsa board Charles. I know some kits kind of have the parts half cut by a partial imprint stamp which marked the final cut easier.

Last edited:
Are all those buts just printed on the balsa board Charles. I know some kits kind of have the parts half cut by a partial imprint stamp which marked the final cut easier.

Vic: This kit was marketed in 1997, before "laser cut parts", which Guillow's pioneered. Each one of these parts has to be cut out with some type of blade. With an X-acto, you can't cut on the line, you have to cut a little bit over the line, then sand to shape. With the scalpel, because of the thinner blade, you can cut right on the line, and sanding is minimal.

I'm cutting out the fuselage formers, as we speak.

Rochie said:
Wow, Charles, I think it looks more complicated than your Tomcat !!

Only because the instructions are so vague.... Whoever heard of starting a build by building the lower wing first ??

Charles

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back