1/24 Grumman F3F-2 - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Lads... Think I'll work on the nose and tail today. Have to sand the cowl to shape and glue a piece of block balsa to the tail, then shape it so it looks like the plans. If I get that done I'll start painting the fuselage with the clear dope to prepare for covering.

Charles

Thanks for the kind words, Fellas...

Been working on the nose (aka cowl) most of the day. Finally got it where I want it. This is the first modification to the plans (as written), and I'm sure there will be more. Got the rubber motor installed, too. The plans call for a balsa build-up of what we call the thrust bearing. This thrust bearing is between the nose and the prop. Fortunately I have thrust bearings left over from Guillow's models, so I did some mother-fying to accommodate the plastic trust bearing. If the model putty is dry, going to start on the tail-block.

Didja ever spin a 5/16th drill bit by hand ???

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2777.JPG
    DSC_2777.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 99
Looking great Charles. Just curious how these fragile flying models stood up to what I am assuming is not a very controlled landing.

Geo

Looking great Charles. Just curious how these fragile flying models stood up to what I am assuming is not a very controlled landing.

Geo

It just depended on how heavy the model was, how the model was balanced..... and how high the grass was. My FW-190 flew well, while the bf-109 had a habit of doing a right wing-over and not recovering. Most bi-planes fly good....

No Igor... no auto-pilot...

Charles

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Your nice comments are appreciated.

Worked on the tail-block today. Finally got it where I want it. Think I will start on the lower wing tomorrow.

Oh... discovered the first screw up, today. There was a former under the opening for the lower wing (K-6). Not suppose
to be there til the lower wing goes on. It's been removed. See the plans....

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2778.JPG
    DSC_2778.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back