**** DONE: 1/48 F3F-3 – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User Name: N4521U
Name: Bill
Category: Advanced
Entry: F3F-3 USS Yorktown 1938-40
Kit: 1/48 Accurate Minatures
Accessories : Yellow Wings decals for VF-5. A 10' Ham Std scale prop to make it into the -3 model..... if I can find one and perhaps a bit of scratch.

I have found H.T. Moore, and am doing a plane in markings from VF-5 he probably flew. By Paul's direction, greenhorn Ens. Moore is flying third man of the CO's element.

In September 1938, Ensign Frederick T. Moore, Jr. joined Fighting Squadron Five (VF-5) on board the USS Yorktown (CV-5) operating out of NAS North Island in San Diego, CA. Ensign Moore flew off the USS Yorktown from September 1938 thru September 1940. The primary aircraft flown by VF-5 in the late 1930s was the Grumman F3F, the last American biplane fighter aircraft.

In May 1940, Frederick T. Moore, Jr. was promoted to Lieutenant. In October 1940, Lt Moore was transferred back to NAS Pensacola as Executive Officer of the naval flight school.

Lt Moore moved to Pearl Harbor to meet with Fighter Squadron 1 and later that summer VF-1 joined the new USS Yorktown (CV-10). The VF-1 squadron was established in March 1943, operating Grumman F6F Hellcats and was assigned to the United States Pacific Fleet. With Lieutenant Moore as the executive officer, VF1 first fought the Japanese at the Battle of Tarawa, flying off the USS Nassau (CVE-16) from November 20 to November 22, 1943. The VF-1 squadron flew a total of 106 missions and spent 237 hours of flying time in three days of operations without losing a single plane or pilot.

F.T. Moore took part in the Battle of Tarawa, Marians, Guam, Leyte Gulf and served in Korea and served at the Pentagon. Now at the rank of Capt., Moore was assigned as CO of Air Group 35, Air Training Pensacola, USS Suribachi (AE-21) and USS Saratoga (CV-60). Retired June 1969, died of a heart attack Oct 1969. Burried at Pensacola.

What a Navy career! and I sailor on.

Attachments

• VF-5 Ens Moore.jpg
    VF-5 Ens Moore.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 207
  • GB16 F3F VF-5 1a.jpg
    GB16 F3F VF-5 1a.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 210
  • GB16 F3F VF-5 1b.jpg
    GB16 F3F VF-5 1b.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 186
  • GB16 F3F VF-5 1c.jpg
    GB16 F3F VF-5 1c.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 173
  • GB16 F3F VF-5 1d.jpg
    GB16 F3F VF-5 1d.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 181
  • GB16 F3F VF-5 1e.jpg
    GB16 F3F VF-5 1e.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, like I did my captured Jack.

I'm beginning to be glad I posted mine first. I wonder how many others were planning on doing one... I don't see why we can't have more than one.

***Need info....
The 3 model used a 10' dia Hamilton Std 3 blade prop. Been looking for one, the only thing I can find is a 13' dia 3 blade for the F4U, could I cut one of these down for this bird?? Is the blade profile much the some?

I think this is the only niggely point I need to address.

Last edited:
If you cut the blades off the F3F's boss and glued the trimed corsair blades it would work. Take a bit of sanding to get the shape corrected, but, sure.
And, can't have more than one of what? Entry, or type of plane?

No reason not to have more than one entry of the same type.
Even if they were the same color, same sqn, same markings....
It's what we want in our cabinet that counts.....
I don't recall any restrictions.

It is always amazing that the one simple bit of information you are looking for is never simple to find. I've been looking through the old squadron books, and just by looks, the H.S. propeller on an early TBD Devestator is the same as on some early -3 flying barrels. I also found info that some of the later -3's had Curtiss electric props. These greatly resemble the props on the F6F, for example; with a dome-like cam cover as opposed to the more spindle looking one found on the model.
So, much like the markings, an educated guess seems to be in order.
If Ensign Moore is flying one of the last built -3's, and that would be likely for the years he flew off Yorkton, then the Curtiss electric is probable.
Hope that helps!

I love these birds, so many colors that go in harmony with each other :D excellent choice!

I found the early ones used Ham Std. So now just need to find an aftermarket F6F prop.

Magic Paul.

BTW, I am finding this kit so simple to build. Just today on it and I've about finished the cockpit, gear struts painted, cowlings painted, interior painted, engine painted, rudder painted. It's all just silver, or at least Silver Leaf Tamiya spray. I'll post some pickies this eve.

Last edited:
So here is one days effort. Surprised how quickly it's going, but then it's Not a bl00dy helicopter.... is it!
It's all so silver. I did use silver under the red, and it worked quite well, Tamiya spray.I'll use it under the yellow as well. So it's been cleaning the mold seams, and paint... tooooo easy.

Attachments

• GB16 F3F VF-5 2 first day.jpg
    GB16 F3F VF-5 2 first day.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 158
And the clean desk pulls ahead!
Accurate Miniatures are very well engineered kits, aren't they!? I love them.
You will still need to reduce the width of the blades, The Curtiss Electric are "sharper" at the tips, also. I wish I had the means to scan the books I have, maybe someone else has the Squadron book, #160, "Grumman Biplane Fighters in Action" and #97 "TBD Devastators in Action" and would scan them. My printer/scanner is not working.
Probably because the cords are still in a box somewhere...maybe at my daughters house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back