**** DONE: 1/48 F3F-3 – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bummer about the top wing, AM was usually pretty good about quality control. Really thin plastic, like a drinking straw, cut and placed over it might do the trick.
Prop is bang-on however!

Heck Bill, this is quicker than a rat up a drain pipe!
Nice work so far, but shame about that wing. I reckon either Milliput (grey/green, not the silver or white) or maybe superglue, to build up a straight line, then sand back to profile ?

Wow top wings is, yeah :S

I hope it goes good and fast for the fix :)

Thanks Paul...... prop turned out okay.
The wing..... didn't someone in here make a slurry out of sprue somehow????
I was thinking of just cutting a slot in the leading edge and then inserting a half round of sprue then shaping that.

Will give it some thought at work today......

Using of the slurry out of sprue is more adequate for filling incorrect panel lines or small gaps rather than a such cavity of the wing surface. I would follow Terry's advice. This is the easiest way. However your idea sounds good too. You might sand down the leading edge and stick a new one made of the Evergreen Quarter Round rods and strips for instance... Then shapping with sanding. You can use the piece of the kit mould sprue instead of the Evergreen product as well.

evgu0248.jpg

Last edited:
I'll start shaving the leading edge off tonight Wurger, it's the go with a piece of sprue.

Oh Vic......... it's better than my pontoons for the whirley bird. I still haven't heard anything on them from the States!

Wayne, when I got into it I had some styrene bar that filled the bill, sorry...... so I used that.
The exhaust fairing I'll give it one more layer then start shaping. Easy with the photos I found on the net.
Finished filing the filler on the vents which turned out okay.

Paul, does you cockpit ass'y fit in as tight as mine??? That doesn't sound right at all, does it?

Attachments

• GB16 VF-5 6b exhaust fairing.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 6b exhaust fairing.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 65
  • GB16 VF-5 6a top wing.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 6a top wing.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 81
Looks like your going to save this one! Keep at it mate.

Thanks guys..... encouragement always keeps me going.

I just have a few little cracks to fill in the wing leading edge, turned out a bit of allright for me.
Added another layer for the exhaust fairings before shaping.

Will have to back off this one as the bloke has not gotten back to me on the stuff for my helicopter, so am going to have to take another look at working with the hacked up gear pods. I wonder now if I will finish it for #15????

Anyways, here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• GB16 VF-5 7wing leading edge.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 7wing leading edge.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 54
  • GB16 VF-5 7a exhaust fairing.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 7a exhaust fairing.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Back