1/24 Grumman F3F-2 - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The bottom side of the upper wing has been covered, spritzed, dried and given one coat of the 50/50 mix. Got the N-struts made too. The black mark on the N-struts is to remind me which way is up and forward. I gotta start making a plan to paint this thing..... can't paint it after the top wing is on !

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0148.JPG
    DSCN0148.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN0149.JPG
    DSCN0149.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN0150.JPG
    DSCN0150.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 86
Gave the fuselage, tail, top side of the lower wing and bottom side of the upper wings one coat of Flat White, yesterday, before my air brush gave up on me. Noticed a flaw..... actually a crease in the tissue, in the upper wing, so had to cut out the area and recover. Also found two other spots I didn't like, so I fixed them, too. Here's the sequence of events. In the last pic I have one coat of the 50/50 mix on the repaired areas. Light sanding in between 5 coats of 50/50 mix and the area will be fine.

Raining, today, so..... no painting.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0171.JPG
    DSCN0171.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0173.JPG
    DSCN0173.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0172.JPG
    DSCN0172.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 61
Hi Lads: Got three good coats of Flat White on the F3F and the bottom side of the upper wing, today. Taking Glenn's advice, I used the Flat White as an undercoat and primer. One thing for sure, it really shows the blemishes, and spots that need attention. I see places where I got carried away with the "light sanding" and went thru the tissue. All these areas will have to be addressed before I can proceed further. Be that as it may, here's some pic's. The plane and wing, done in Flat White is laying on a light blue towel. First two pic's are w/o flash, last two are with.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0175.JPG
    DSCN0175.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0177.JPG
    DSCN0177.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN0176.JPG
    DSCN0176.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN0178.JPG
    DSCN0178.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 65
Coming along very nicely Charles. I'm not sure if someone has asked this before but do the companies supply the extra paper for boo-boos?

Geo

Geo: You usually get about a square yard of tissue with a model. That's probably enough to cover the average model twice. I have so much left over from previous builds, I just salt the tissue away, and continue to use left-overs.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back