**** DONE: 1/48 F3F-3 – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys..... While the glass house is drying on the choppah I have done a bit on the barrel.

Had to mask the canopy by hand, as the Eduard stuff was not even close. Gave the silver of the wings a flat coat as they are doped and painted silver. Top wing yellow over the red, with the chevron masked. Then noticed it should have a small black outline, yes? Fusey is all together now. But I think the -3 has no exterior gun site, is this correct? Don't know how I can fill the slot....... but am ready to paint the overall Silver Leaf on the body.....

Paul. How well did the pods on top of the wing support fit into the wing positions???? I found I had to spread them a bit. May have to clamp them in place to get them to set. You?

Attachments

• GB16 VF-5 9a paint  mask.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 9a paint mask.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 60
  • GB16 VF-5 9b canopy mask.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 9b canopy mask.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 71
Nice work, the yellow looks bang-on! I did a test fit and the "Pods" were off, warped a little, but when spread, fit fine. The F3F-3's that survived to become advanced trainers were eventually upgraded to an electric gun sight, but for the era you are modeling, the "tube " with the ring and bead is correct. I will do a little catch-up in the morning, Sunday is model day for me.

Last edited:
Trouble sleeping most nights.

Paul, you've given me just what I need to know. Pipe and ring sight it is. Will just have to spread them legs too!

GB16 VF-5 10 exhaust fairings.jpg

Annie was at a baby shower today, so along with the choppa stuff I finished the second fairing for the exhaust, and painted red. Just have to get crackin and paint the fusey silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, I see a great paint job only a doubt assails me, what you gave white first and then give it the red or enamel paint? wonder what that red is very much alive and as I have understood the red acrylic or lacquer tends to be dead if it is given first target.

Bill, I see a great paint job only a doubt assails me, what you gave white first and then give it the red or enamel paint? wonder what that red is very much alive and as I have understood the red acrylic or lacquer tends to be dead if it is given first target.

The wing was primed first.
Red Tamiya gloss spray can paint.
Masked for the chevron and painted gloss yellow.
All color paint is gloss.

Today while the choppa was drying I tackled this. Got a lot of the painting done, other bits are painted just waiting to get attached. Decals, thought they would be easier to put on without all the other stuff, I was right! Some to finish, but todays effort.

Attachments

• GB16 VF-5 11b decaling.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 11b decaling.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 73
  • GB16 VF-5 11a decaling.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 11a decaling.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 73
Just the tail decals to do. But there is nothing for F3F-"3" so I'll have to cut two of the extras up for the 3. Just a couple other things and done.

Attachments

• GB16 VF-5 12 decaling.jpg
    GB16 VF-5 12 decaling.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back