1/24 Grumman F3F-2 - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hope it clears up quickly Charles. A mask, even a paper fibre dust mask, although not particularly effective, will help a little if you can arrange some sort of ventilation. Even a fan, to move the static air holding the fumes, will help a bit.

Hope you recover soon Charles, It sucks that your out of some of the building parts for a bit :( hope to see this one continue further :)

Time for an exhaust fan. Kill everything outside!
My brain cells are still sluffing out of my ears from the stuff when I was 10/12! Nearly 60 years ago!

I do have an exhaust fan in the garage, a 30 inch monster, but it's in the ceiling and vents into the attic and to the outside via the end of house attic vents. I have not used this because I thought the "aroma of dope" would permeate into the house. We use it when it's warm, but not hot enough to use the A/C. Open the back room windows and turn on the fan and you get an awesome flow of air thru the house. Guess I could open the garage door a few inches and turn on the fan, and see what happens. More on this later....

The cough has eased up quite a bit....

Charles

get well soon mate,i use a filter mask when spray painting my cars and it works very well,you can get these from a auto paint supplier

Funny man... I mean an exhaust fan AT your Bench! Not into your house. Even brussel sprouts would taste like dope!
Get some old 18" ducting and put it over your bench and a fan at the end taking the fumes Outside mate....
Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm scolding you. But your health is paramount! Knock a hole in the wall over your bench and put a fan in it.

Keep up the good work.

Ahoy Charles
Looks great your doing the Flying Beer Barrel Here is a picture of my 1/24 scale Grumman GulfHawk11 scratch built useing cleveland model plans it dont fly but buts the landing gear retracts like the real machine. Cant waite to see her we you get her all done thge F2Fs and F3Fs were the last of the Grumman designs.

Boats

PICT0005-14.jpg

You are all correct.... it's been too long since I did something worthy of posting in this thread.

I just finished covering the upper side of the lower wing and the tail ass'y. of the F3F. They are in the sun, drying as we speak. After I get something cold and wet to drink, I'm going to cover some of the fuselage. I can't cover it all, because the lower wing has to be attached, and lower fuselage formers and stringers. Pic's tonight.

Stopped at the LHS this morning. I spoke to a couple of "old timers" about the fumes from the clear dope, when working inside, without proper ventilation. Each one told me the same thing, and I must admit, it's a new one on me. They all tell me when they are working with clear dope inside, they have burning candles on the workbench, one on each end. They say it absorbs the fumes. Of course, I had to try it ! And... it appears to work !

Working inside with dope usually make me cough, but not today. What's that about "old dogs" and new tricks ??

Charles

As I said earlier got the tail feathers, the lower wing (upper surface) and most of the fuselage covered, spritzed with water and dried in the sun. Here's the pic's, as promised.....

Would you believe.... I covered the fuselage (cowl included) in four pieces !!

Gotta work on the landing gear, next, as it attaches in the un-covered part of the fuselage.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2800.JPG
    DSC_2800.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_2801.JPG
    DSC_2801.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_2802.JPG
    DSC_2802.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_2803.JPG