1/24 Grumman F3F-2 - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Today we installed the tail ass'y. The plans never said to attach the stabilizer before attaching the tail-block, so I had to cut the elevator off, and install it first, then the stabilizer. Gluing it together I decided to put the elevator down a bit. Getting ready to attach the lower wing, but I have to do some shimming first.

The fuselage tail also got their first coat of the 50/50 clear dope/thinner mix.

Thanks for looking...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2819.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_2820.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 68
Worked like a Turk, til the wee hours, last night to get the lower wing on. Needed to do some 1/16 inch shimming, before it would go on correctly. Then started with the lower fuselage formers, which led to attaching lower stringers. Then, of course, it was a coat (or was it two ?) of the clear dope.

Going to have to add some stringers, not on the plans, to get the shape of the lower fuselage right, before covering.

Trust me, the burning taper works !!

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2822.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_2823.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_2824.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_2825.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_2826.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_2827.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_2828.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Oh.... In case you're wondering why the under-side of the wing is not covered, I decided not to cover the under-side of the lower wing, and the upper-side of the top wing to assist me in getting the figgin' riggin' on. I'll be able to secure the wires better if I can get to the inside of the wing.

Charles

Great idea Charles. Too bad you can't do that with plastic.

This one is shaping up nicely Charles and a good set of pics showing us novices how it's done. Looking forward to seeing your plan on the rigging process.

Users who are viewing this thread