1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII ‘Bobby’ Gibbs - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice work Wayne particularly on the undersides. Looking forward to seeing how this one finishes up - I suspect it will be the forum benchmark for all future Spitfire builds.

Regards,

Gerry

You have a nice shine ready for the decals and just love the weathering. I'll have to dig out the pastels and give it a try.

Very, very nice Wayne. I'm kinda hit and miss with pastels. Most of the time it works out, but I use an aerosol can for the clear flat and the fire-hose type spray usually washes out the effect. Basically, I have to really over do the pastel weathering to have it look subtle in the end.

Geo

Very, very nice Wayne. I'm kinda hit and miss with pastels. Most of the time it works out, but I use an aerosol can for the clear flat and the fire-hose type spray usually washes out the effect. Basically, I have to really over do the pastel weathering to have it look subtle in the end.

Geo

dark pastels work best for me on Matt paint, a light overspray, at first is best to seal it, light pastels I add after the flat coat as necessary...I find the light pastels can disolve away in the gloss coat...

ok back on to my Spitty...well, I was concerned with the type of decals in this kit, they looked the slightly brittle type and I thought they would be a b@stard to conform to the curvature of the lower nose and any surface "bumps"....and i was right....
As you can see first thing I had to do was carefully 'slice' certain points of the decal to get it to lay down with my decal softener, this also then caused each section to slightly move apart while drying, this irritated me but at the same time didn't bother me as some carefully applied Black and red paint will fix this without a problem....the problem area will be dealing with the small crack in the white decal, second tooth, on the port side panel and getting the white paint to blend and match the decal...
Hope that tomorrow the other bits sit right and keep the touchups to a minimum.

Attachments

• 199_Sharkmouth Decals_2478.jpg
    199_Sharkmouth Decals_2478.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 200_Sharkmouth Decals_2486.jpg
    200_Sharkmouth Decals_2486.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 201_Sharkmouth Decals_2484.jpg
    201_Sharkmouth Decals_2484.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 92
Shame the decals cracked.....

When I was screen printing for a display company in the States we used to do small lettering for builders statements in model homes. Hardly bigger type than a typed page of a letter. Often the printer didn't apply enough pressure with the sgueegee, or the image in the screen had little filled areas, and the letters would have gaps. It was practice to wash off all the lettering with a solvent and print again, or have to redo the screen. Time lost...... till I came along. I used to take a sharpened tooth pick, and one drop at a time fill the gaps. Saved gobs of time! And never noticed.

You probably already use this method Wayne, works a treat.

Jak nie urok to sraczka... as we speak in Poland. But I'm sure you can cope with that my Bro... :)

I can imagine your irritation with these decals, but full marks for perseverance. Got my fingers crossed it all comes good for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back