1/32 Tamiya Birdcage Corsair with Resin P&W R-2800 engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good evening,

Firstly a big thank you to you to follow the WIP of the small marvel from TAMIYA.
And of course a big thank you for all your kind comments!

Wheel wells are superbly handled by Tamiya and their installation is precise and cleverly designed : a joy to build!
I find that some details can still be added very simply. It will give a little more reality to this space that is a bit empty.

The hydraulic distributor is prepared, lightly modified, drilled and finally equipped with its piping.
It was finally set up against the front wall of the bay.
Other pipes depart from the distributor through the aperture provided for this purpose.
Others from the wall, walk behind the retraction actuator to reach the small forward compartment.

Various pipes installed on the root partition side are formatted to run on the bottom of the compartment and back on the opposite to finally get lost in the passage toward to the folding part of the wing.

Well, after all this Blah Blah as preamble, pictures.
They are taken with and without flash in order (achieved or not? ..) More clearly show the details.

dsc04734.jpg

dsc04735.jpg

dsc04736.jpg

dsc04737.jpg

dsc04738.jpg

dsc04739.jpg

dsc04740.jpg

That's all.
Not much for today, but it's pretty long and time consuming.

More soon,

Pascal8)

Hi,

Thanks a lot Mates ;)

Little progress in appearance, but it's an important step that is preparing to be crossed.
Wheel wells are now detailed and will allow me to soon spary the interior color on that part of the plane.
Oil coolers assemblies are also ready to be painted "Salmon" then "Light Gray".
La baie de droite:

dsc04741.jpg

dsc04742.jpg

The hydraulic distributor of the compartment:

dsc04743.jpg

Installed:

dsc04746.jpg

I lost one and ...still does not explain to me the relentless calm that I showed face the ordeal.
This one comes from one of the other boxes; but I'll have to order a sprue to replace the part...

One of the wings oil coolers:

dsc04744.jpg

dsc04745.jpg

I replaced the original photo-etched by the one proposed by Radu Brinzan, and masked it before primer and camouflage.
The parts are much finer and detailed than the kit ... already pretty!

Everything is connected:

dsc04747.jpg

One of the wing root extrados:

dsc04748.jpg

Voilà, voilà.
More soon.

Pascal

Hi,

Thanks for all Mates ;)

To continue on the wing and the central portion particularly, I started to work on the flaps.
These "Belles Bêtes" so special and identifiable amongst all!
The Tamiya assembly is of impressive quality and rendering without external addition is already terrific.

However, I decided to replace some kit parts by few photo-etched from Eduard.
This also causes a bit of rework on some kit parts ... that will need some adaptation .
The result, however pleases me, so it's worth a little extra work.

First, inside flap:

dsc04749.jpg

dsc04761.jpg

Central flap:

dsc04750.jpg

You have to think to open the perforations of the original parts to give a little more meaning to these details.

dsc04758.jpg

dsc04759.jpg

Outer wing flap:

dsc04760.jpg

Tamiya PE parts to detail the internal sides of the flaps:

dsc04751.jpg

dsc04752.jpg

Wheel well doors: STUNNING
You just have to slide the doors on the installed actuators to finalize this step!

dsc04753.jpg

dsc04754.jpg

dsc04755.jpg

dsc04756.jpg

Perfect angle for both right and left doors:

dsc04757.jpg

Voilà.

Pascal

That is amazing work...the base kit itself looks pretty nice, but with the PE and your own detailing the result is something else...

Hi,

Thank You very much for kind comments!

Some progress on the Corsair.

Work continues in the central section.
I sprayed a coat of "Salmon" protection in the wheel well:

dsc04762.jpg

dsc04765.jpg

dsc04763.jpg

dsc04764.jpg

dsc04817.jpg

dsc04818.jpg

Light Gray (Gunze):

dsc04814.jpg

dsc04768.jpg

Zinc Chromate on the doors:

dsc04767.jpg

dsc04816.jpg

Rims; lovely details on those proposed by Barracuda compared to those (already very thin) from Tamiya:

dsc04815.jpg

Oil coolers are completed:

dsc04770.jpg

then installed:

dsc04819.jpg

dsc04821.jpg

They can be distinguished through the cooling flap whose lip was refined:

dsc04820.jpg

The leading and trailing edges of the fowler are completed and all awaiting paint:

dsc04771.jpg

dsc04810.jpg

dsc04813.jpg

dsc04812.jpg

Test fit:

dsc04824.jpg

For assembly that suits me, I placed strips of plastic card at the "break" of the lower wing part.
This enables perfect alignment of the radiators intakes and prevents putty after assembly.
Just leave a slight backwardation(?):

dsc04822.jpg

dsc04823.jpg

Gluing of the extrados:

dsc04822.jpg

dsc04825.jpg

dsc04826.jpg

I finally started working on the canopy.
Internal frames are never shown or proposed in photo-etched ... it does not suit me.
I (tried) to systematically achieve this detail which seems to me rather important in a cockpit, the more so when it is on the 32nd.

dsc04827.jpg

dsc04828.jpg

Further details will round, I hope the start of detailing.

Voilà.
Questions and comments are welcome.

Pascal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back