1/32nd scale Revell Spitfire Mk22.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne and Dan.
Ever had the feeling you think you should never have started out on a particular project?
Well, this one is starting to be a right b!tch - I thought it would be relatively straightforward; just assemble the remains of the kit, allowing for a few gaps here and there, and add some 'distressed' areas along the way.
Wrong!
I remember building this kit (as the full model) back in the mid seventies, and recall that the parts were somewhat 'chunky', but that the fit was OK, apart from those parts designed to be removable, such as the cowlings and gun bay covers etc.
Well, the removable parts aren't being used, but the fit of some of the internal parts is a bit vague, although I'm sure there were more internal fittings, such as the throttle quadrant, and better location points for things like the fuel tanks. This is evident by the prescence of 'redundant' locatiing points moulded onto the inside of the fuselage halves.
The fact that I've added parts such as the lower cockpit skins, and chopped off most of the forward locating areas hasn't helped of course! Joining the remains of the front fuselage to the forward firewall proved to be..er...interesting!
Anyway, here's a progress report to date.
The Instrument panel has already been drilled out to represent the empty instrument apertures, and is yet to have the holes filed smooth(ish), but the compass and gunsight brackets have been added, fabricated from thin plastic sheet, shown in PIC 1.
PIC 2. Shows the first stage of painting the empty panel, some more 'distress' will be added later.
PIC 3. Is the port gun bay being boxed-in, again using thin plastic sheet, which is cut to fit into the bay, glued in place, then trimmed level with the top of the recessed lip for the bay covers.
PIC 4. Shows the fuselage joined and fitted to the wing. As you can see, there was very little for the forward fuselage to glue to, and the open wing root was a bit of a sod to line-up and glue, a fact not particularly helped by the addition of the cockpit lower skinning, the control rods, mangled piping and wiring etc.
PICS 5 and 6. Are general views of the derelict cockpit, and I apologise for the poor quality of the pics - it was a tad difficult to get the angles and focus without blocking out the light from the lamp. (Too dull and wet to shoot outdoors!)
PIC 7. As the forward fuel tanks are supposed to attach to the inside of the cowling, and this no longer exists, being used for the MkXIV conversion, supports had to be made, and also a representation of the cowling support in front of the cockpit. These are shown as the bright green plastic strip, glued into postion using CA glue. (I used a whole tube on the front end of this ..er..'exercise'!)
PIC 8. Shows these additions painted in British Cockpit Green, which looks slightly darker than it actually is in these shots. I used Humbrol's Cockpit Green 78 for this. Although of the correct hue, out of the tin it is far to dark for this scale, so I mixed it approximately 60/40 with matt white. The forward upper and lower fuel tanks, and the angled oil tank, will be fitted after the model is painted, to make it easier to mask.
PIC 9. Is the port main flap section, slightly drooped, with the smaller, inboard section yet to be added. OK, the ribs aren't truly accurate, but most of this won't be seen anyway - it's only to provide a suggestion of decay and dillapidation.
PIC 10. Shows the model to date, with the wing root fillets fitted, which required a lot of trimming, sanding and filing, and carefull glueing, in stages, using both poly cement and CA glue, the latter to prevent the darned things springing out of place at the forward end, where joining surfaces were very minimal! These will have some damage and 'missing parts' detailed later.
After quite a number of hours working on this 'simple build', I think I'll be having a rest for awhile. I just wish the Hasegawa Spit would arrive, so that I can start cutting that up for the MkXIV conversion!
Thanks again for your attention and kind comments, and I hope this is keeping you..er...entertained!

Attachments

• Fire Spit Build 044.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 044.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Fire Spit Build 048.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 048.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 142
  • Fire Spit Build 052.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 052.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Fire Spit Build 053.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 053.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Fire Spit Build 055.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 055.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Fire Spit Build 077.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 077.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Fire Spit Build 081.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 081.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Fire Spit Build 080.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 080.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 134
  • Fire Spit Build 070.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 070.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Fire Spit Build 057.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 057.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Thanks awfully old chap. Back to the butchering...er..I mean micro surgery!

You are ambitious on this one. My confidence level in myself falls far short of yours. That's probably the key to it all. Looking forward to this sequence of events.

Lookin ace / the business / the dogs bal*icks / the part mate! :lol:

I am thinking of buying the 1/32 Avenger, need to step my game up!

Thanks Joe and Mag. I must admit, this is turning out more..tricky, I suppose, than I originally thought. It's looking like it's going to be more complex than the MkXIV conversion, but then, there are lots of bits missing that would normally make construction a little easier!
BTW Joe, as you are going to be building this kit, I'd recommend you scratch-build some of the cockpit fittings, as those that are in the kit are very 'beefy', for want of a better word. Some items, such as the landing gear selector and the throttle quadrant, aren't there at all, and I'm fairly sure they were in the original kit. The seat and seat-back armour could do with refining, and the forward fuel and oil tanks can't be seen if built as per instructions. Also, the cockpit entrance hatch needs work, and the panel lines will need attention, although primer and a few coats of paint would minimise some of the effect. Overall, it's not too bad a kit, considering its age, and with some extra work, a very presentable model can be produced. If you would like a full breakdown of those areas that should be addressed, just let me know.
Terry.

Keep my fingers crossed for you Terry while you are working on this project. I must say that I know exactly how Sweb feels when I see a "surgery" like this one. Keep up the great work.

Thanks very much Igor. I think I need a pretty nurse to swab my brow during this 'surgery'!

Thanks Joe and Mag. I must admit, this is turning out more..tricky, I suppose, than I originally thought. It's looking like it's going to be more complex than the MkXIV conversion, but then, there are lots of bits missing that would normally make construction a little easier!
BTW Joe, as you are going to be building this kit, I'd recommend you scratch-build some of the cockpit fittings, as those that are in the kit are very 'beefy', for want of a better word. Some items, such as the landing gear selector and the throttle quadrant, aren't there at all, and I'm fairly sure they were in the original kit. The seat and seat-back armour could do with refining, and the forward fuel and oil tanks can't be seen if built as per instructions. Also, the cockpit entrance hatch needs work, and the panel lines will need attention, although primer and a few coats of paint would minimise some of the effect. Overall, it's not too bad a kit, considering its age, and with some extra work, a very presentable model can be produced. If you would like a full breakdown of those areas that should be addressed, just let me know.
Terry.

The panel lines will disappear altogether as a first step. I fill them with stretched sprue and then re-render them in a more scale appearance when appropriate in the build. Thanks for the detail tips. I really like this Mark and intend to assign my highest give-a-crap level to it. A run-down of the corrections would be most welcome. Thanks for offering. At the moment I'm tied up bashing a Tamiya Korean War 1/48 F-51D into an RF-51 (F-6). The Spitfire will be next.

Thanks guys! BTW Evan, I haven't forgotten about the Mk19 pics - I've found some of the slides, just need to get them sorted and scanned, along with some more pics from BBMF etc.

Waiting for the filler to set on the MkXIV conversion, so I did a little bit more on the donor kit, the Mk.22.
Once these little bits are finished, and a bit of filling and sanding completed, the hulk will be ready for the first stages of painting - then the real work begins, trying to make it look worn, weather beaten and forlorn!
PIC 1. Some of the strengthening ribs, main structural cross beams and equipment brackets have been added to the firewall, made from plastic strip. The pencil marks are where holes will be drilled, and some mangled 'plumbing' and wiring added.
PIC 2. To add a bit of 'life' to the naked rear end, 'lightening holes' have been drilled into the fin post. It's not totally authentic, but at least it'll look a bit better, especially when painted and weathered.
PIC 3. The port aileron has been fitted, in a drooped position, without the trim tab, as it would possibly look due to disconnected control rods/cables. The port flap is also sagging, having previously been cut from the lower wing section and some ribs added.
PIC 4. The rear section of the starboard wing-root fairing has been removed, and the internal bracing is yet to be added. The gaps have yet to be filled, as they will be over most of the airframe!
That's it so far. I'll get a bit more done soon, although this build is very much an 'as and when' affair, seeing as it's really an exercise in using discarded parts!
Thanks again for your interest.

Attachments

• Fire Spit Build 085.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 085.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Fire Spit Build 087.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 087.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Fire Spit Build 089.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 089.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Fire Spit Build 091.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 091.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 144
Obviously this kind of project requires a lot of work and patience Terry, but you are progressing fine. I have no doubt it will look great when finished. Looking forward for the painting and weathering part. :thumbright:

Thanks very much, Jan and Igor. The painting and weathering will need some careful thought, as it needs to look as if it's been on the fire dump for some time, with the ravages of wind and weather, as well as the effects of smoke etc.
The roundels and other markings are going to be the hard part, as they need to look as if partly erased, and partly chipped and scarred by weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back