1/48 Arii Hellcat F6F-3N

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aug 25, 2009
The Hellcat will be a Nightfighter from VFN-76, flown by 'Buck' Dungan who in a single mission, destroyed a Japanese Destroyer with the help of his wingman and then went on to destroy five Japanese floatplanes on his own. This combat vent is shown in the Dogfights episode Nightfighters.

DSCF1563.jpg

DSCF1564.jpg

These are the custom Nightfighter add-ons I got for it. They are made by Quickboost.
DSCF1565.jpg

Welcome to the zoo! Never built an Arii kit before. Any good?
The kit as a whole looks well made. I don't know much else as I havn't started building it yet :).
Got more pics of what I did last night,
This is the start of the wings, done both top halves and the undercarriage bays
DSCF1567.jpg

One of the Halves of the fuselage is done, the other is being painted tonight...
DSCF1568.jpg

The other side of the fuselage with the interior painted and the tailplane
DSCF1570.jpg

One side of the third sprue with the painted cowling and cockpit sections
DSCF1569.jpg

The other side of the third sprue
DSCF1571.jpg

Thanks for all the welcomes!:D

I'm back again with more pictures! Now both fuselage halves are done, the radar pod has the blue coat on it, the cockpit panels are awaiting details, the bottom halves of the wings are done and the propller blades have been painted.
DSCF1572.jpg

DSCF1573.jpg

DSCF1574.jpg

DSCF1576.jpg

sorry its been so long since I put some more pictures up, Photobucket has been being a pain.
The Hellcat is now almost finished, only needing a touch up coat, transfers and cockpit glass.
DSCF1577.jpg

DSCF1580.jpg

DSCF1581.jpg

DSCF1582.jpg

DSCF1583.jpg

DSCF1584.jpg

As you may have noticed there is a big crack in between the two halves of the fuselage, this was sorted out quite quickly and is now a smooth finish.
DSCF1603.jpg

DSCF1604.jpg

DSCF1605.jpg

Last edited:
These fuselage and wing seams don't look good.Unfortunately a putty and sanding are needed.That's way I always suggest dry fitting and assembling without painting that should be made at the end of a build.But not when parts are still in sprue frames.It doesn't matter if these are the main parts or small pieces.

Anyway the model take a nice shape.:D Keep working.

Last edited:
Hey VMF,

This is the first I've seen of this thread. I like the subject. What color did you use on the fuselage? Those are some serious gaps between the fuselage halves. Are you going to attempt to fill them in?

I look forward to seeing the completed product.

oh sorry I thought you needed the colour for a nightfighter you were going to make. My mistake :oops:.
According to different sources they did and didn't have different schemes. I don't properly understand it myself so I can't really help you :(

I'm extremely sorry for the massive wait. But the hellcat is finally finished! I've only got one picture at the moment cause the others came out bad but I will get some more up soon. I have applied the transfers which were strong and easy to apply and glued on a canopy. As no canopy came with the kit I managed to come across a set of two vacuform ones designed for the Arii kit.
DSCF0055.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back